Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bbf help new boater

badley1
    am looking for help and advise on using a factory short block from ford i have been reading on this board for 6 mos and respect your opinions i need to know if the clearances is this engine are acceptable and how about the cam here is the info i have
    Engine Blocks
    Part Number M-6009-C514 $3,295.00
    514 cu. in. Performance Crate Motor-"600HP" Short Block
    Same as M-6007-B514/M-6009-B514 except had Eagle H-beam connecting rods M-6200-C514.
    600 horsepower @6250 RPM 590 ft./lbs. of torque @ 4750 RPM 9.8:1 compression ratio (nominal) Sturdy 460 2-bolt main short block M-6009-B514 Cast nodular iron 4.300" storker crank
    Ford Racing/ TRW forged aluminum dished pistons with full floating pins. Mechanical roller lifter camshaft with .647" lift, 254 intake and 258 exhaust duration @ .50" lobe lift
    or am i better off with a 514 stroker kit i can buy for 1300. plus 900. machine work plus cam t chain and my assembly time
    sorry to be so long winded but i wanna get this project started thanx everyone

Wet Dream
    I am not an engine guru by any means, and that short block sounds like a pumper, but I was curious about the 6250 rpm on a 2 bolt main with the stroker crank. How long can it handle that kind of stress at a 9.8:1? As far as the less expensive 514 stroker kit, and your assembly time, it is about 1/2 the expense, but you can never put a price on your own labor, but it will save you $$$. If you have the time and $, you might think about having the mains splayed on that shortblock to help reinforce it against stress. Also, you're hitting that magical 600hp # that begins to require a stronger impeller than the aluminum ones. Is your pump set up for that now, or will you have to go through it too?
    [This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited February 10, 2002).]

LakesOnly
    Badley,
    Decent components in the factory shortblock. But does FoMoCo advertise this engine for marine application? Of course it will run either way, but if it's not for marine use, then I would opt for buying the kit and having a machine shop cut your components for your particular application. (Frankly, even if it was for marine use, I'd personally opt to oversee the construction of my own motor.)
    If your engine builder is unfamiliar with what the differences are in tolerances, oiling, etc for a boat motor, RUN! Find another machine shop.
    You will also be able to more accurately choose internal engine components (cam, pistons, etc.) fitting for the specific application of your engine.
    LO
    [This message has been edited by LakesOnly (edited February 10, 2002).]

milla killa
    badley1,I used to run a built ford in my old boat,those svo fords are potent motors,they make good power,the cam specs are good to for a boat,the two bolt ford block is fine,ford blocks are very strong.

nitro557
    i give you all a frown,a ford 2 bolt main is strong as hell the main size is huge hes fine,i think the cams to big ,if you have a pre 1973 block go with the 514 kit e-mail me and well talk if after 73 buy the crate motor,mine is a 514 and i make over 700hp on pump gas no problem,wet dream not to be harse but do you know how much it cost to splay bolt a standard block

milla killa
    If you want to build one yourself it may be alittle more money but you can choose a bigger bore and less stroke,or bigger bore and same stroke,you need to talk to chp,california high performance,there number should be in a fast ford or super ford magizine.i'll try to get there number for you,butthese guys throw together good combos,and you also can run a longer rod with your own combo!

nitro557
    sorry miller killer you posted before i finished mine frown isnt for you ,the long rod is the way to go

Payton
    I've been told you can run Blue Thunder heads and have the option of all the exhaust manifolds that fit GM blocks.

badley1
    thanks for the input i am going to order the kit what is recommended for cam any particular preferences i am planning on running pump gas i also have limited room under the hatch so am probably going to go stealth intake and not sure what carb yet any opinions
    thanks everybody

hack job
    hey i would run a isky mega 280 i have had great luck with them and they work great with a wieand stealth manifold. i would check out there page to see if its something you are intrested in. www.iskycams.com (http://www.iskycams.com)
    good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast