Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many hours on solid rollers?

WETTE VETTE
    How many hours are you guys getting out of a set of solid roller lifters? How big are your cams and what springs are you using? I am running a 264/270 duration solid roller with .740 lift and .020" lash. So far I have only 15 hrs on the motor and I am running Isky Red Zone Liftes with Isky 9945 tool room springs. Max RPM is 6500. I plan on running 50 hrs or 2 seasons and change at least the lifters and check the springs. For me 15 - 20 hrs a season is average, but we only have 5 - 6 months to actually boat. How many hrs are you guys getting and have you ever had failures?
    Thanks,
    Craig

To many variables. I would suggest taking some lifter out during winter and do a touchy feely inspection. Feel for marble type feeling in rollers. Looks for excessive scuffing. Springs are actually the critcal point here. . .seat pressure being the critical pressure. Besure it hasn't dropped more then 20% of recommended. If it has, new springs.
    Chris

steelcomp
    I agree with chris...it's not the lifter that usually fails, it's the spring that gets weak, and the lifter starts to take a beating, as do the seats and the rest of the valve train. Stay on top of your valve springs and you'll have fewer problems.

Squirtin Thunder
    Actually I have heard from a few engine builders that the bearings fail in the rollers. But not sure on how many hours that was at.
    Jim

Bearings don't fail. . .they get hammered due to poor oiling and weak seat pressure. I amazes me how many don't know what is going on. . .and they do this for a living.
    Chris

steelcomp
    Bearings don't fail. . .they get hammered due to poor oiling and weak seat pressure. I amazes me how many don't know what is going on. . .and they do this for a living.
    Chris
    !!!

Fiat48
    I'd just change them like aluminum rods. 1 run before they break.

Infomaniac
    Has he sacrificed one or two sets to the aluminum gods yet?

GofastRacer
    Chris
    Right on the money, seems like valve springs are the most neglected item on the motor, and unless you have the new pressure fed lifters(or groove the lifter bore)a lot of idling will destroy the roller bearings!..

Fiat48
    LOL.
    Just check them like Chris said to do. I buy used rollers all the time. Used valve springs..used pistons, etc. Many guys replace because someone told them to or some engine builders religion. I haven't lost a roller lifter in ages...but I check them all the time. Hard pressure on the roller after you clean them in solvent and blow them dry. If not smooth roll and feel any roughness at all...toss them. If any up and down play in the roller at all...No question..just toss em. Then oil the hell out of them or soak them in oil before reinstalling. The seat pressure is what beats em up. Or prolonged idling. They oil by splash.
    Hmmm ...Chris must be working the late shift tonight.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast