Thread: Preheat Option on WaterJacketed Headers

miketsouth
    I am putting some Stellings waterjacketed headers on my sbc jet, in place of the logs. I can plumb them two ways
    Thru the headers first (the way the logs are now)
    or
    thru the engine first.
    thru headers first seems to be a more even temp for the block, but probably will use more water.
    Thru the block first will make a neater looking installation but i think maybe it will cause wild temperature fluctuations.
    Right now the logs maintain very nice even temps without a lot of dicking with the watervalve inbetween the pump and logs.
    anybody have any thoughts on this?
    mikeT

GofastRacer
    Why not do it the same way if was working with the logs, as far as more water who cares you have the whole lake right!..

miketsouth
    Why not do it the same way if was working with the logs, as far as more water who cares you have the whole lake right!..
    Somehow, i just cant get over the fact that that water is bleeding off my pump.
    'Its fuggin miniscule compared to the thousands of gallons' i can hear some say.
    Well, so it is. There is the extra plumbing issue too. I think you right though. Thanks

GofastRacer
    Somehow, i just cant get over the fact that that water is bleeding off my pump.
    'Its fuggin miniscule compared to the thousands of gallons' i can hear some say.
    Well, so it is. There is the extra plumbing issue too. I think you right though. Thanks
    Hey if it works don't fix it, right!..

TexasJet
    Mike, I replaced some log with Lighting Headers. The logs were plumbed up so they got water first, the to the block. Now the Lightnings are plumbed where the water goes to the block first then to the headers. The headers do run a bit warmer to the touch than the logs. I have a thermostat and didn't notice any fluctuations in temps.

Thunderbutt
    Go through the headers frist, that will keep the headers cooler and preheat the water for the motor, Chevys like 180 degree water. Do you have temp gauges?

miketsouth
    Mike, I replaced some log with Lighting Headers. The logs were plumbed up so they got water first, the to the block. Now the Lightnings are plumbed where the water goes to the block first then to the headers. The headers do run a bit warmer to the touch than the logs. I have a thermostat and didn't notice any fluctuations in temps.
    Some lightnings do not have the preheat option and water must go thru the block first. These Stellings have in and out fittings.
    Go through the headers frist, that will keep the headers cooler and preheat the water for the motor, Chevys like 180 degree water. Do you have temp gauges?
    I have temp gauge in the head of the SBC. I run it cooler in salt water than in fresh water. I also have block pressure gauge. I use it when i adjust the (ball) valve from the pump into the logs > engine setup i got now.
    Right now, everything just seems to work well with little adjustment necessary: nice idle temps, nice extended WOT temps. Seems the Stellings will put a lot more heat into the water, as there is more surface area to transfer the heat. My setup now has good block pressure too (block pressure=higher boiling point=no steam pockets=happy engine). The stainless inner tube should handle it dry. I dont care if the outside gets hot, just not burn your ass up and leave skin on the tube hot like the OT trumpets get now. Guess i just got to experiment.
    I do appreciate the input though...
    mikeT