Well, I finally found and purchased my childhood dream, a jet boat. It's a 1976 Hallett with a 455 Olds and of course the Berkeley 12JC-A. Well, I took it for a test drive and everything seemed great. I could get 5200rmp out of the motor, stamp out about 62mph. The oil was changed in it before I bought it. The motor was supposed to have 108 hours on it, great, pretty new, right??? Guess not. After the second day of running it, I had to add over 1 qt of oil. By the end of the third day, she was knocking bad. It came on all of a sudden. Everything was fine, headed back to the ramp, running a steady 4300rpm, tried to get on it, but it wouldn't. Let off the throttle, knock knock.....uh oh. Spun the #7 and 8 rod bearings. the oil was black as coal. I only put 8 hours on the damn thing, now I am looking for a new motor. She handles like a dream and looks and sounds great, well, when it runs. Now I am looking to do things right the first time, over. any suggestions????? Yes, the first thing I did was cut the stops off of the Jetovator, but the damn brass tooth gear is seroiusly worn. HELP!!!!!