Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Paypal Ripoff Beware of 802.11

Dr. Eagle
    So I went to the ATM for a few bucks today and checked my balance in checking (my funny money account that I use for toys and spending money).
    Balance = $0
    Hmmmmmm coulda sworn I had about $300 in there...
    I got back to the office and got online to check my account. Well there was a charge 1,126.66 from Paypal. Hmmmmm I just bought something for about $25 Tuesday... but WTF?
    So I got onto the Paypal site. There is that charge for about $25 and shortly after, there is a charge for 590 British Pounds... converted to 1,126.66 dollars. I called Paypal and they took the information, told me to fill out the affadavit they were going to send me and they'd refund as soon as they got it back signed.
    I was trying to figure out how that could have happened that someone got my password and it struck me.
    I was in a hotel that had wireless internet (802.11B) and was using it when I won the auction.
    Knowing it was unsecured, I got off the wireless connection and used the telephone dial up to do the paypal portion, but after thinking about it... I don't remember disabling the radio in the computer. Here I thought I was being good and thining of all the angles...Beware everyone... it can happen to you.

MikeF
    What was the persons "rating" like? Has he/she only sold a few things or many?

Dr. Eagle
    What was the persons "rating" like? Has he/she only sold a few things or many?
    The ebayer had no way to access my account. It had to be someone that collected my password and gave themselves a gift...
    And they had a lot of feedback if that matters...

MikeF
    Sometimes you can't be careful enough. :frown: Hope it works out in your favor and they catch the bad guy!

jlnorthrup122
    That really sucks DR. E I hope you get your moneys back and find the pukes that took it!

Brewzed
    I've heard the new thing for identity theft is people cruisin around neighborhoods until they pick up a wireless signal from a house. I don't
    think the average family would worry about firewalls on their home networks.

ahhell
    next time wrap your head in foil so no one can read your mind
    at least pay pal will make good, havent had any problems...yet

rmylek
    What's even worse best buy sells this little key chain device that all you have to do is press a button an a light will lite up if there is a wireless signal. It to can be yours for under $20.

H20Advantage
    It's called wardriving. They roam around and look for open nodes with a special antenna, sometimes made with a pringle can.
    See if Paypal captured the ISP the transaction came from and then have the locals get a search warrant for the ISP info. That way you can at least find the point of compromise.
    Let me know if you have any questions....I work major fraud

RiverKitty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast