Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix this

joeygo
    Hi everyone,New member here! Great site. I'm looking for some advice on how to fix a fiberglass problem. Boat: 1976 21' Howard - Problem:I removed all my floor boards and I noticed two light spot in the glass on the bottom of the hull. It looks like the glass is lifting up.I think the hull is flexing at these two areas.What would be the best way to address this problem?

GofastRacer
    Going by the pics, I'd say grind it out and reglass the area!...

21rayson
    look at the bottom of the boat in those two areas and look for cracks in the gelcoat or paint if it is painted.if no visiable cracks grind out the light spots and reglass the area.just a opinion.

MudPumper
    Contact Toddnjuzz here on the boards he can help.

396_Z
    Going by the pics, I'd say grind it out and reglass the area!...
    Yup. Doesn't matter who does it , you or a shop, but by looking at the pics it has to be done.

joeygo
    look at the bottom of the boat in those two areas and look for cracks in the gelcoat or paint if it is painted.if no visiable cracks grind out the light spots and reglass the area.just a opinion.
    Everything looks good on the bottom. The boat has always felt flexy.I'm thinking about putting two more full stringers in.But the fuel tanks are glassed into the floor. So I would have to cut them out. I've never done anything like this so I'm looking for advice and ideas. Thanks Brian

lucky
    i went threw the same thing on mine - I had new tanks made 800. oo bucks - took mine the 3 d boats and let them do it - dean ended up getting sick cause of the contaminated glass - if you take the tanks out ( structure ) you will have to reninforce that area i.e glass in stringers or lay some nice thick plywood and bond it down and glass over - its a pain in the arse when i talked to howard boats they stated they leave the old tanks in and mount gunnell tanks - ( we where talking about the old glass tanks leaking ) all i can say is talk to alot of people and understand what your doing - :idea:

joeygo
    i went threw the same thing on mine - I had new tanks made 800. oo bucks - took mine the 3 d boats and let them do it - dean ended up getting sick cause of the contaminated glass - if you take the tanks out ( structure ) you will have to reninforce that area i.e glass in stringers or lay some nice thick plywood and bond it down and glass over - its a pain in the arse when i talked to howard boats they stated they leave the old tanks in and mount gunnell tanks - ( we where talking about the old glass tanks leaking ) all i can say is talk to alot of people and understand what your doing - :idea:
    What did it cost to have it done? What did Dean do to your boat? -----------------------B

GofastRacer
    Some of those old glass tanks were not a separate unit glassed to the floor, the sides and floor was part of it!. Use a cutoff wheel and go around as close as you can and remove the shell then grind the rest off. I've done that before and after it's all sanded down and buffed you couldn't tell that were ever tanks in there!..

joeygo
    Some of those old glass tanks were not a separate unit glassed to the floor, the sides and floor was part of it!. Use a cutoff wheel and go around as close as you can and remove the shell then grind the rest off. I've done that before and after it's all sanded down and buffed you couldn't tell that were ever tanks in there!..
    Out they come.---First I drained all the fuel out of the tanks. Next I drilled a 5/8 hole in the front corner closest to the stringer. I used some fuel line and a pump bulb to suck any remaining gas out. So now I'm left with a big empty box that is full of fumes. Can you say BOMB? The plan! Fill it with water. Grabbed the hose filled it to the brim and it's a go. Broke out the SAWZALL and the cut off wheel as GofastRacer suggested. Well it's a done deal. Thanks for all the advice everyone here are some pics.---------------joey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast