Thread: looking for a u-joint for an olds

starbuck
    i had a u joint come apart on me today. does anyone have one or knows where to get one at a reasonable price? thanks

Squirtin Thunder
    i had a u joint come apart on me today. does anyone have one or knows where to get one at a reasonable price? thanks
    NAPA carries all the U-Joints you will ever need just bring yours in and they can match it up.
    Jim

Moneypitt
    Do you mean actually come apart? If so, you should find out why.....Is the "H" alright? U joints will fail, but seldom do they actually come apart unless there is something screwed up. Was this a new instalation, or an old one that finally failed......A little history.........MP

The most common u-joints in jet couplings are 1310 and 1350. I got mine from Arizona Driveline, but many places carry them. To determine which one you have, measure the width of each axis, and the diameter of the bearing caps on each axis. Do a quick Google search for "1350 (or 1310) u-joint dimensions" and compare them to your measurements.
    Easy.

starbuck
    the u-joint actually came apart while in motion. the bearing cap shot out of the u-joint like a bullet. i got the u-joint when i got the boat it looked well used but i greased the fittings and hoped for some more out of it.

Foggerjet
    Sounds like you lost a retainer and/or heat built up inside the grease cavity. if a little water is in there and heat the water boils, makes steam and POW. The joints are usually standard 1310. Recommend getting Spicer joints w/grease fitting. Grease displaces water and when you pump grease in, water will be purged out the seals.
    fog

rpo1
    I have a used setup, (ujoints and the H), if interested, I'll dig them out and tell more