Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how is your heart?

Midlife Advantage
    OK, here's a good topic for the health-concious. My buddy, who I have known for over twenty-five years, and who is about as healthy a person could be, suffered a heart attack almost a month ago. I only heard about it 3 days ago and decided to take off to Phoenix to see him Sat morn.
    Now, this guy runs almost every day, plays tennis, does not smoke (we quit together almost 20 years ago) watches what he eats and his only real vice is weekend drinkin, like most of us. At 48, after his cardio incident, they found that he had 3 arteries that were 100% blocked and 2 that were 70% blocked. he went thru a quinteple (?) bypass. 3 weeks later he suffered a stroke. now he is recovering and looks forward to his new lease on life. They say his heart is so strong that since the blockages are fixed, it will give him more strength.
    POINT being; everything they say happened was because of genetics, his dad died early of a heart attack, so he was always concious of this. So what do you do when you know you are at risk, live healthy and can still expect a heart attack someday? continually live your life like everything you eat or drink could speed up the process or just do your best to be careful and keep it moderate?
    I dunno, I am just thinkin out loud here. This guy is one of my best friends and I am happy he is still with us. But now, his life has changed, he cant drink and party with us, must constantly watch everything that he eats and will always wonder whats next.
    WTF?
    Tim

bunny 166
    Scary to have your life flash before your eyes... so glad your friend is going to be OK. I guess you never know when its your time, so enjoy every minute. Did he have any warning signs that his arteries were so blocked?? That is really frightening, especially since he's pretty health-concious.

Midlife Advantage
    Scary to have your life flash before your eyes... so glad your friend is going to be OK. I guess you never know when its your time, so enjoy every minute. Did he have any warning signs that his arteries were so blocked?? That is really frightening, especially since he's pretty health-concious.
    He felt a little tired and was out of breath a few days before for no reason. scary sh**!

bunny 166
    He felt a little tired and was out of breath a few days before for no reason. scary sh**!
    You got that right!! Im glad he'll be OK, but its tough having to watch every little thing you do from then on... :frown:

IN2-IN2MX
    I am sorry that happened to your friend. The fact that you are so concerned shows that you are a very good friend to him.
    It's amazing how genetics come into play. You can have someone like your buddy...exercises, eats right, etc and wham! heart attack. You can have a person that never exercises, eats fast food morning, noon and night, drinks everyday and nothing. You just never know. But I guess it is good to be better safe than sorry and take care of yourself.

Midlife Advantage
    I am sorry that happened to your friend. The fact that you are so concerned shows that you are a very good friend to him.
    It's amazing how genetics come into play. You can have someone like your buddy...exercises, eats right, etc and wham! heart attack. You can have a person that never exercises, eats fast food morning, noon and night, drinks everyday and nothing. You just never know. But I guess it is good to be better safe than sorry and take care of yourself.
    I figure this will be the most common response, and you're right. Better safe than sorry. I just gotta wonder, is there any way to know? I can be safe and live a boring life, if I know that I am at risk. Or I can party like I like, enjoy life how I will, and maybe drop dead at 50. I know most of what I am posing here is pretty simple stuff, just thought I would stimulate the board, especially those digustingly fit people....guess who I am thinkin of...

Misogynist
    Genetics plays a huge role... also... bad habits. Medical statisticians have discovered that WHEN you started smoking is more important than HOW LONG you smoked. If you started smoking at an early age, the damage is much worse. My father started smoking at an early age (13),,, he smoked for 30 years... then suddenly quit... only because he died from a massive coronary. His younger brother ( my Uncle ) started smoking at the same age. He also died from a coronary at age 45. I knew I wanted to live beyond 43 so I never started smoking. At the age of 37 I started into a regular exercise program to help with the cardio. I now am 50 and ride my bicycle 60 miles a week. Lots of times I kick a$$ on guys half my age... but it takes dedication and commitment to get on my bike and hammer myself three times a week. I suppose I don't like the alternative.
    Exactly one year ago I went to the funeral of one of my best friends.. He started smoking at about 13 or 14 and never quit. He died from a massive coronary at age 49. This guy wasn't heavy... but he smoked too much. A few years back another of my friends died at 46, he also started smoking at an early age. Please... tell you children to not make the same mistakes my Father, Uncle, and two friends made. Smoking is bad enough... but starting at an early age is the worst. I was 3 when my Father died. I now know how much of life I missed out on not having a Father as I was growing up. I'm just glad I didn't make the same mistakes. F***ing cigarettes and the tobacco industry.

IN2-IN2MX
    I figure this will be the most common response, and you're right. Better safe than sorry. I just gotta wonder, is there any way to know? I can be safe and live a boring life, if I know that I am at risk. Or I can party like I like, enjoy life how I will, and maybe drop dead at 50. I know most of what I am posing here is pretty simple stuff, just thought I would stimulate the board, especially those digustingly fit people....guess who I am thinkin of...
    Frenchie!
    But I would say live life and have fun. It doesn't have to be 100% bad living to have fun. Moderation?

Midlife Advantage
    Sorry to hear that Tim. I hope he makes as well a recovery as can be expected.
    Thanks brutha, and to everyone else - I hope you all live long and well. I think his recovery is going to be amazing, they have already said that since the blockages are gone, and he took such good care of his heart, he may be stronger than before!
    Misogynist; good info, thanks for sharing, good peep. Now, I will throw Tom and myself under the bus...we both chew tobacco, or dip as its called. I want to quit it once and for all, but dammit I enjoy it. I know I stand a chance at some sort of cancer, but I justify it by not smoking for my nicotine fix. All of the programs out there focus on quitting smoking, and dont really address the even stronger addiction to dip.
    How many other hot boaters dip?

Mandelon
    I have a physical scheduled for the 16th. I am definitely concerned. Even if you are fit you can't see what is going on inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast