Thread: Heavy Boat?????

Old Guy
    I wonder if anybody has any idea how much a '76 - 20' SleekCraft (tunnel or mod-vee type) hull should weigh. This one went down tail first (from the looks of the muck in the pump) and spent a day or more on the bottom of a lake. I'm concerned about the center hull which is completely enclosed (sort of). At present, it's stripped, no motor, seats, pump, covers, hardware, fuel, etc., and I figured that I might as well weigh it. It weighs 1194 lbs.. There is still a little that's not hull such as controls, wiring, carpet, instruments, rub rail, so I could probably subtract 20 lbs. for that and get a net weight of about 1175 lbs.. I see no sign of water in the center hull, but considering the past experience of myself and others, I gotta wonder about it. Cutting it open to check seems like pulling a tree up to check the roots. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Unchained
    I had one of those. The Sleekcraft brochure listed it as weighing 1850# It came with a molded in jet pump and I converted it to a Dominator pump. http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/Sleekcraft1.jpg
    It was a good all around boat but a heavy hull. The center pod of the hull had a storage area built into it between the front seats. You should be able to access the center pod there if you remove the storage box. I had a problem with the front bulkhead which was broken when I got the boat. I reinforced it but it never seemed strong enough. I had to crawl up under the front deck and refiberglass areas that came loose.
    I also had a problem with the fuel tanks coming loose. They were only glassed in and not bolted in.
    I had a mild 6-71 blown 454 and ran 90mph at the drags 11.9 ET. The boat had a dangerous bad characteristic of wanting to hook and release when you tried to turn sharp at about 35 mph. Don't do that. I believe it is a trait of all MOD V tunnels.

Old Guy
    Thanks a lot Unchained, that 1850# number is what I was looking for. Mine has no storage area in the center. I've got it completely stripped and the floor is solid and closed at the front and rear. There is a keel about 2" wide that looks like a 2x6 on edge that protrudes through the front boxed end of the center hull. I looks like the floor is 1" thick. The tanks are glassed in and they seem OK. Boat seems real solid. It had a Jacuzzi that I'm in the process of converting to an Aggressor. Also have a droop snoot and a Place diverter that I plan to put on it. I've got a 455 olds that makes about 500 hp that's going in it. The original motor was 455 olds. I live on a lake and I've been running a Sidewinder for about 10 yrs. This one was $500 and I couldn't pass it up. Nice winter project.
    Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

ChetCapoli
    If that is your boat old guy, i would talk to ted at C.B.M. up here in ny. He has one just like it. From what i understand that boat weighs around 900lbs. Hope that helps
    Chet