Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To winterize or not to winterize

Sweet Addiction
    So this is a question for the Texas people. How many of you have already winterized your boat and how many have not? I am just curious as to when you winterize if you do. I live near Austin and its stays pretty warm down here, but I don't think I will be going out to much. Just trying to get an idea if it might be better to put it up for a couple of months of just keep it out so it is there for those warm sunny days. Even in December.

switchin'addiction
    Up here in Missouri, but I don't winterize mine usually until December to try & sneak in a few nice days. Keep it in a heated garage until then.

Sweet Addiction
    Well I know it sucks, having to put her up for the winter. The only place I have to stash mine is at my Folks place. So its not a convience. I was thinking about winterizing this weekend, but then again I think, maybe I could get by with just keeping everything clean and making a blend of antifreeze to keep in the lines just incase of a cold spell. Well thanks for everyones input, so far. I was trying to post this here to get some Central peeps going in here.

Squirtin Thunder
    When I was in NC I kept the boat ready for any nice day. A little bit of anti-freeze won't hurt the fish. I was skiing in Jan. in NC with snow on the launch ramp.
    Jim

jdf
    i keep all of ours ready but they set in a heated shop but when we didn't have they shop i just put heat lamp's under the cover's and that worked very well for me ....bambam

vdrivenman
    hi DMC,
    we live about 15 minutes from the Gulf and use our salt h20 fishing boat all year long, so it never gets wintwerized.if it gets to freezing or below i run a little antifreeze into the motor. the fishing is espically good time of year for bull reds & spec's.
    the ride around boat gets put in the barn and covered.if temps drop to or below freezing some heat lamps are placed in the engine compartment, and i make sure everything is drained. this way it is no big chore to go out and crank her off to run for about 15-20 minutes on the h2o hose.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    boy I love the west coast, we never WINTERIZE here we boat year round :wink:

eliminatedsprinter
    boy I love the west coast, we never WINTERIZE here we boat year round :wink:
    That's right, winterize it by bringing it to B.V. in a couple of weeks for the P.Posse cold water kick off...
    You could really churn up some mud with that rig there... :wink:

Sweet Addiction
    The thing is here, that there is a slight chance that it might freeze. Its usually only happens maybe 2-3 times a season. We can boat year around here also. Its just for those of us who are willing. Since I bought my boat in March I have never had it through the winter and I am reluctant to not winterize so I can go out at times, and then I also worry that if I don't there is a chance I will forget or something and it will freeze and then cracked block or something of that nature.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I have never winterized my boat. it stays in a covered shed and it rarerly ever freezes here and when it does the temp inside the shed away from the wind is always a couple degrees higher. I would imagine it would have to get into the 20's to have to worry about blocks cracking.
    Omega

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast