Thread: Subwoofer box

Jesster
    I am going to build a sub box that will double as a pedestal for the drivers seat and was wondering if anybody has a good way to attach it to the deck. I could build it in place but was hoping to have the subs fire downward. Which brings up another question, is firing the subs at the deck a good idea? If not, it may solve a number of problems. Another question is where to purchase marine grade plywood in the Corona area or are you just using treated plywood?

Tom Brown
    Bass (anything below roughly 110Hz) is omnidirectional. Have them fire any way you like. Interesting things happen when you have a sub fire into a flat surface at close range. It would be easier to just aim the sub horizontally.

HMF'er
    Another question is where to purchase marine grade plywood in the Corona area or are you just using treated plywood?
    I would check with Ganahl Lumber. If they don't have it, try Forest Plywood or Royal Plywood, both in LaMirada.
    Now I'm no sub box expert, but I thought they were made with either particle board, MDF, or fiberglass.

Jordy
    Now I'm no sub box expert, but I thought they were made with either particle board, MDF, or fiberglass.
    MDF and particle board go south fast when they get wet. Go with something like a 3/4" marine grade plywood (it's not cheap) and then resin coat it when everything is said and done if you really want it to last. Probably a good idea if you're going to be sitting on it and driving the boat.

Tom Brown
    You definitely want to go with marine grade plywood. The only two grades without voids are marine and aircraft grade. Voids will rattle.
    For even better results, line the box with 1/2" K3 particle board or, if you can't find that, MDF.
    Oh yeah... mix the resin down 2.5~3:1 with acetone:resin. Put in 10x the Mekp then brush it on in the shade and put the parts in the sun to cure. The thinned resin will penetrate much better but it's hard to get it to light off so you need lots of Mekp and sun. Do it on an 80+* day.