Thread: Motor-SHAFT-Pump Questions

Wet Dream
    I am getting ready to do my pump, Berk JC and was curious about one thing...
    While I was putting the engine back in the boat, the pump shaft and U-joint flange was about 3/4" to 1" away from the engine flange. I was temporarily baffled at this and found that the shaft did move in and out, but is this normal and if so is this a normal tolerance? Thanks guys. As usual, I guess I am just expecting the worst when it comes to something like this.

Duane HTP
    If you are talking about the pump shaft itself moving back and forth, No that's not suposed to be that way. You either have a bad thrust bearing or the thrust bearing has not been indexed improperly and is moving in the housing. This will wear out your impeller and wear ring.

wsm9808
    I'll second that the pumpshaft itself should not move, but if you are talking about the u-joint assembly and yoke, then yes it will slide on the pump shaft. With the motor out you can slide it right off the shaft, it is just like a drive shaft front yoke on cars and trucks that slides into the transmission.

HammerDown
    Hey Duane, for those who may need to know, tell us how to properly index a pump...thank's.
    [This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited February 17, 2002).]

Wet Dream
    That was my guess, since I am running out of pump lube everytime I go out. I just hope the bowl is in good shape still.