Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's,70's,80's Race History Coffee Table Book!!LOOK

cyclone
    dont forget the jet boaters (i know, i know, this is the vdrive forum). the book will appeal to a broader audience of nostalgic boaters if you include early jet boats as well.
    I'd contact the folks at Drag Boat Review or maybe even Kevin Spaise from hot boat since he covered tons of the early racing events.
    Interview the racers themselves and i'm sure you'd dig up lots of good photos and anecdotes.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I'd contact Kevin Spaise from hot boat since he covered tons of the early racing events.
    I had this same idea about 10 years ago but wanted to do it right or not at all. This type of project will take a huge commitment from the writer.
    The research, interviews, archiving of literature and photos. What about when you have 2 interviews on the same subject but they don't coincide? This will happen also.
    I have allready done research of this nature on boat builders as well as racing. I have a phone list of hundreds of contacts if you need help locating people.
    I agree with cyclone on contacting Kevin Spaise. This guy could probably write a book by himself. Don't forget guys like Clyde Parkhurst, those old photographers have a wealth of info as well as photos.
    Good luck
    E-mail or call if I can assist.
    Jerry (951) 741-1346

superdave013
    You might want to get ahold of Rick Cline too. That guy has prolly 20 file cabnits of photos and stuff. He was also the editer of National Drag Boat and writes tons of WW2 books.
    http://www.rickclinephotography.com/Posters.htm
    http://www.rickclinephotography.com/Nolte3.JPG

kindsangerflats
    Jerry, I understand this is a HUGE project. It takes a lot of time to pull it off the RIGHT way. But, in the end it is worth everything. Not only do many of us boating enthusiasts get togther on something we enjoy, but if it's done with quality publishing and hardbound, you can display it with pride, knowing that you were a part of it........and the BIGGEST thing here is that it gets done. I understand there can be conflicting stories on facts...and you research it the best you can...you will always run into that. The main thing again is to document this stuff with photos. Even run some of the old boat ads in a special section. How can anyone be discouraged with a book like this? We must follow through with it and create a real treasure!
    People like you willing to help is what this is all about. Thanks. Spread the word and lets get something going!

Flat Happy
    I'd be in for a book! I was just thinking about this recently. Automobile history has been well documented and written about. Books on just about every make and model ever built can be found. But, boating history like what is being talked about here is very hard to find. You could probably write a book about each boat manufacturer's history. A lot of it is stored in people's brains, old ads, magazine articles, or manufacturer brochures. I too wish there were books about this old flatties, etc to read about.
    I think it would be great to have a section on each boat manufacturer that traces the history from the early days to today (or when the manufacturer ceased operation). Include pictures and information on the different hull styles, ect. Then have a racing section - maybe even a separate book (both drag and circle), how each got started, and follow its progression through the years. At the end of the book(s) you could have the interviews with the surviving "Legends" of the industry or in the case of racing the racing legends.
    I hope this goes to press one day. It'd be an awesome read for sure.

AJ
    "THUMBS UP"
    I'll take one for sure.

dmontzsta
    I am definately in. ... only if LaveyCraft is mentioned. j/p I am in for sure...sounds cool to me. I have seen some of the members books with their personal pics and I know there are LOTS out there.

72Hallett
    Count me in for a book. Depending on how far you want to go back, my grandfather raced outboards at marine stadium in so cal(where Marina Del Rey is today) I think back in the 1930s. I could try to scan some oldddddd pics and have him provide some commentary. He is 95 and sharp as a tack.

kidstuf
    I'm having a site built right now DEDICATED to this book project. If you submit information you will be included in the book AND be a part of this project's HISTORICAL VALUE. The more we receive then we can organize the information and photos by subject and develop chapters of the book. We can also establish a time frame for publishing it, to make sure that nobody's stories are left out. At the tail end of the book we can conduct some phone interviews with a few of the "LIVING LEGENDS" and get their take how the sport progressed through the 60's 70's and 80's and then do a section on "Who's Who" today. I think it can have a little something for everyone and be a real show piece-not some dusty old things that will be lost in the sale someday!!! I can not stess more to dig out those old black and white photos and start scanning them now. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i think that is an awesome idea!!! i would love to contribute!! i have a bunch of old photos!!! Let me know how i can help!
    Brandie Leach (Bob Leach's daughter )

Back Forty
    Nothing to contribute other than at least two purchases of the finished product. I would love to add this to the collection!!!
    Please include the '50s stuff though... Where would you be if that decade were left out. Olds Chrysler, Buick, Poontiac, Ford, Shivs to name a few!!! What a diverse decade. :rollside:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast