Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil from my breather

Jetdriver
    After I run the hell out of the boat there is always oil running across the valve cover from the breather and then dripping on down. The pcv valve is in good shape. Do I need another breather on the other valve cover? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...010221-med.JPG

327,jet
    Instead of the typical chrome breather with a piece of foam in it ,try a K&N breather or a Moroso breather it might solve the oil problem. And you can clean them real well too.

Hallett19
    I just talked about this problem recently, I replaced my PCV valve and I am still having the problem. People have told me it could be anywhere from gas in my oil to bad rings. I want to get a new breather, I have a crumby no name chrome one, I'm thinking about running either another PCV or maybe even a crank evac setup with a smog pump. Let me know what works for you !!!
    I like your alternator setup too.

Jetdriver
    I think the first thing Im going to do is put a set of baffled covers on there and a set of K&N breathers.

Moneypitt
    YES, you NEED A BREATHER ON THE OTHER VALVE COVER!! The pcv valve, (POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION) MUST HAVE AN INLET to the crankcase to SUCK from. If you have just a pcv valve on one side it WILL NOT evac the pan and will blow oil out the only vent available. (the pcv valve should be grommet mounted in the valve cover, NOT on top of a breather) You do not need any high dollar breathers or screens, you MAY benefit from a baffle in each cover under the non pcv breather, as well as under the pcv valve. In order to evac the pan, there MUST be a vent to SUCK from. And the pcv valve should be sealed (grommeted) in the other cover, with the hose straight to intake vaccum. There are some oiling problems that can't be solved this way, but this set up will cure MOST.......MP

RedRocket
    get baffled covers and use a style of breather that doesn't allow oil to drip out the bottom or sides of it , I found a square plastic one that has the opening at the top. This WORKED for me, I tried lots of things with non-baffled covers and couldn't solve it.

Jetdriver
    Good Info! Ill look into the baffled cover asap.

AgentX85239
    I had the same problem with those exact breathers (no pcv). picked up some k&n breathers, no more problems

Hallett19
    I need to grab some of those K&N's from Rex.

DogHouse
    After trying several different breathers, I finally installed a puke tank. No more mess even after running hard. Looks nice too with the big s/s lines going to it.
    -brian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast