Thread: Motor Upgrades????

SDLifesaver
    I am thinking about bolting some HP to the 2002 496 Mag we have? Does anyone have any experience or opinions on what brand to use/not to use?? ProCharger, Whipple, Vortec? The boat is a 2002 Howard 21' River Cruiser and runs about 68mph with 4 adults now. Any info would be great. Thanks, Nick

FireMD
    does anybody know anything about this?

jet4fun
    go with a whipple, dustin whipple is on these boards, talk to him and he may be able to hook you up... the whipple kits seem to be the most dialed in and complete, and i hear that the prochargers are junk. www.whipplesuperchargers.com

jet4fun

SDLifesaver
    Thanks Robert, I went to the site but the email system for the company is down. I am just curious about boost pressures. They claim 6 is the magic number, but that seems high for a stock application with cast pistons? Does anybody know different???

jet4fun
    i would try to contact dustin whipple. this is his e-mail whipplecharged@cs.com i dont know if its the one youve already tried.
    you can also try to send him a p.m. his board name is Whipple Charged. just go to the directory and type it in to find him.
    or you could also start a post saying "paging dustin whipple"

Whipple Charged
    We run 5-6 psi for our standard system and almost all boost levels are available. If you feel safer at 4, then we can pulley it to 4, just less total hp and torque. The motor is mapped for 1-10lbs. of boost.
    The stock pistons are not cast, there hyperutetic and have no problem holding up to the pressure. Everybody gets worried about the pistons, but there not a problem in this engine.
    Thanks,
    Dustin