Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to the engine builders

Hustler
    I'm looking to start build a new motor for my boat it 74 22.6 Hustler with a jucuzzi pump it cuurently has 396 40 over with small oval port heads. My question is I would like to build something in the range of 600-700 hp, can i acheive with my existing blockor should i start from scratch and will i need to run a blower to acheive this power on pump gas or not? What kind of cost am i looking at to build some thing that makes 600-700 hp?
    Thanks for the help
    Hustler

Jetmugg
    You should be able to get 600-700 reliable HP on pump gas with a big crate engine. Check out the 502's and 540's that are available. Some are available with decent warranties as well. I know that some people consider crate motors "cheating", and that you can do better if you build it yourself, but the crate engines really are a good value for the dollar. Sallee Chevy and Merlin are just a couple of companies that can build a 600-700 big block for pump gas. Expect to spend between 7 and 9 thousand for a complete engine.
    SteveM.

Hustler
    Thanks for the info. Does Merlin have a website?
    Hustler

The company is actually called World Castings (or World Products). The Merlin is their version of the BBC. http://www.worldcastings.com
    The engines are available through many sources, just try doing a web search for Merlin 540

GottaHaveIt
    I say put that small-port smog motor on the
    end of a long chain and buy a real Big Block.
    -SpinnerHead

HBjet
    Hustler, I'm running out of donuts, call Dave at DNE Motorsports Development in Costa Mesa. He builds some very reliable and fast 600-700hp motors. Also Jack next door can dial in your pump for your motor choice. Talk to Dave though, you will be impressed.
    HBjet

Leon
    The finished pieces of World Products are the Bill Mitchell HARDCORE engines. The blocks that World manufactures are the Merlin and others as well.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    Get ahold of Screamin' Eagle Racing Engines. Specializes in big cubic inch motors. Nat. aspirated to blown alcohol engines. Does alot of work for Offshore racing teams and some IHRA promod guys.

superdave013
    I see your in So Cal. You might want to talk to George at Clay Smith Cams. Not the cheepset guy but he is the only guy that I use. He's also a jet boater from way back and will set you up right the frist time.

beached1
    HB,
    If you are talking about Doughnuts, then you get a big F from me. I couldn't find any at Jacks shop. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Seriously, I think HB's right. Just think you could get your engine and pump done at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast