Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with motor choices

lets get wet
    Can someone explain the differences in two motors. The 6.2 merc and a 454. which of these two are more powerful. Also which one is a better choice for a 21 foot lavey craft, with a bravo one outdrive,

Squirtin Thunder
    7.4L 454 I think is a better stronger engine but this is coming from a FORD GUY !!!!
    Jim

LHC30Victory
    I think that the 6.2 is a GM small block (383ci) at about 350 hp unk torque. the 454 is an older motor but is a big block and therefore more torque. If fuel consumption is not a problem, then the big block would be my choice. If fuel was an issue, look at a FI Volvo.

mike37
    Can someone explain the differences in two motors. The 6.2 merc and a 454. which of these two are more powerful. Also which one is a better choice for a 21 foot lavey craft, with a bravo one outdrive,
    pritty shure the 6.2 is a 350 small block

Kilrtoy
    There is no more 454 they 6.2 replaced it and your choices are the
    or the 496mag

BADBLOWN572
    Kilrtoy is correct. Mercury replaced the 454 with the 6.2 and the 502 with the 496. I would probably recommend the 6.2 over the 454. I have run several 21' boats with a 6.2 and a bravo 1 and they usually run mid 60's and are great on gas. Don't confuse the 6.2 with a 350. A 350 is actually a 5.7L and doesnt have the torque of the 6.2. The 454 is probably faster out of the hole, but you will also have more weight and more fuel consumption. If you are looking to go faster than mid 60's I would look into the Scorpion motor. They are also a 6.2, but with more power. I believe that the Scorpion (small block) puts out more power than the 454. I have also heard that Mercury has recently announced that they will be discontinued so in the near future, you will not have anything between the 6.2 and the 496. I was also under the impression that the Mercury 454 has been discontinued about 3 years ago.
    I have to assume that you are talking about the 454 mag offered in the past by Mercury. If it is not, that motor, I have no comparison. I have seen 600 h.p. N/A 454's, but the standard was the Mercury. It was not a bad motor, will run forever, but is an older motor. For your application I would go 6.2 and I don't think that you will regret it one bit. Just my .02

mike37
    Kilrtoy is correct. Mercury replaced the 454 with the 6.2 and the 502 with the 496. I would probably recommend the 6.2 over the 454. I have run several 21' boats with a 6.2 and a bravo 1 and they usually run mid 60's and are great on gas. Don't confuse the 6.2 with a 350. A 350 is actually a 5.7L and doesnt have the torque of the 6.2. The 454 is probably faster out of the hole, but you will also have more weight and more fuel consumption. If you are looking to go faster than mid 60's I would look into the Scorpion motor. They are also a 6.2, but with more power. I believe that the Scorpion (small block) puts out more power than the 454. I have also heard that Mercury has recently announced that they will be discontinued so in the near future, you will not have anything between the 6.2 and the 496. I was also under the impression that the Mercury 454 has been discontinued about 3 years ago.
    I have to assume that you are talking about the 454 mag offered in the past by Mercury. If it is not, that motor, I have no comparison. I have seen 600 h.p. N/A 454's, but the standard was the Mercury. It was not a bad motor, will run forever, but is an older motor. For your application I would go 6.2 and I don't think that you will regret it one bit. Just my .02
    thats some good info did some research after I posted
    the 350 thing you are right on I was way off
    now can you tell me the meaning of life was thinking about that to day and would like to know

Ducatista
    The 6.2 would make a nice mellow turn key set up on a 21 Lavey, run all weekend long and decent speed, easy on gas.
    The scorp is a nice hot small block puttin' out big block HP while keeping the weight down, good lookin motor and good speed in that boat.
    I might opt for the 496mag just for resale purposes, probably run about the same speed as the scorp I would guess, maybe a little faster. All three would match up well with a B1.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
    Whats up with all the 30-32 foot boats putting the 6.2s in? Has anyone tried these or own them? I am talking about twins. Especialy the Sunsations.

cdog
    Do the small block and save your money for a procharger. More hp's for the money. With the procharger on it you'll have 100 more hp's than the 496 and weight 250lbs less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast