Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sealed or Vented ??

SSTahoe
    I'm installing (2) 10" RockFord Fosgate sub's, to go with my other system. I was just wondering if I should build Sealed box's or vented. I would like the system to be good for all types of music, not just the boom boom....boom.
    Thanks

ROZ
    I'm installing (2) 10" RockFord Fosgate sub's, to go with my other system. I was just wondering if I should build Sealed box's or vented. I would like the system to be good for all types of music, not just the boom boom....boom.
    Thanks
    If you're looking to run with a little extra volume and have the space( vented are usually about 1/3 larger than sealed), the vented box will perform better. Also make sure the amp has a subsonic filter so you don't blow your sub when it tries to reproduce frequencies too low...
    If your current amp doesn't have a subsonic filter for the sub, and you're looking for the best all around sound, build a sealed enclosure.
    If you want streetbass, build a bandpass enclosure

SSTahoe
    Bandpass enclosure??

ROZ
    Bandpass enclosure??
    4th oder bandpasshttp://www.diysubwoofers.org/images/site/4thordbp.gif
    or 6th order bandpass
    http://www.diysubwoofers.org/images/site/6thordbp.gif

SSTahoe
    I got it now, I think I will just stick with sealed enclosure's. From what you said what I have heard that it will work best for sound quality.
    The book says to build the enclosure: H=12.5" W-19.5 D=7.75" =0.65 (ft/3)
    And after measuring my boat I don't have enough room for vented enclosure for the 10" sub.

ROZ
    for 1 sub, that total must include the thickness of the 3/4" wood...

SSTahoe
    that total must include the thickness of the 3/4" wood...
    3/4 MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) right. thanks for the info now I just have to start cutting, one more question should i glass the MDF then fill and sand then paint the MDF that you can see when you in the boat, or is there some type of wood sealer that can be built up the sanded & painted

ROZ
    Eventhough there has been great debate on the type of wood to use when constructing an enclosure(MDF has consistant resonance), using marine ply then floating resin is the best choice. If the area is protected and won't see water, then glassing MDF will work fine. A few coats of polyurethane resin sand and paint. Sounds like fun

Havasu Hangin'
    I'd consider using marine plywood. It's stronger than MDF...and will take a pounding that a boat dishes out.

1stepcloser
    I secong the Lord's suggestion on the Marine ply. Much stronger than the MDF, and I dare you to hear a difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast