Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting the Keys on T Day!

CNeidhart
    Hi, I'm picking up a new boat in Tavernier FL and planned on putting some hours on it before they ship her back to Arizona, then to Mexico.
    Beside just racing the heck out of her, does anyone have any tourist ideas for me? We have rooms at the Sheraton and can use there slip for our time there, but we must to go to Key West atleast. How about marinas with courtesy day time slips?
    Thanks, a Westside guy visiting the Eastside

dego red
    Once you have been to the "Keys" you'll never want to leave!!!!!!!!!!!! All I want to do is get back..........red

572Daytona
    Congrats on the new boat! We have time share at the Galleon Resort in Key Resort. They have a marina, I'm not sure about courtesy or day slips but here is their web page and you can call them and find out http://www.galleonresort.com/marina.htm
    From the Galleon it is a short walk to the tourist area with the bars (Sloppy's Joe's, Hog's Breath, etc) and all of the shops. We stayed there Thanksgiving in 2002 and there was an APBA race the weekend before so there were lots of nice boats there. Here is a pic of the Marina:

Sane Asylum
    Hi, I'm picking up a new boat in Tavernier FL and planned on putting some hours on it before they ship her back to Arizona, then to Mexico.
    Beside just racing the heck out of her, does anyone have any tourist ideas for me? We have rooms at the Sheraton and can use there slip for our time there, but we must to go to Key West atleast. How about marinas with courtesy day time slips?
    Chuck....What boat did you buy??? Just noticed the phoenix location...we're in goodyear.....
    Good luck and congrats on the boat.....Ever get to pleasant??

MANIC MECHANIC
    CNeidhart,
    Can't help you much with the keys other than to tell you to enjoy the sun but beware! That sun down there will fry you B4 you know it!
    Sunscreen is a suggestion and aluminum oxide on the nose is HIGHLY recomended!
    Also, Buy a chart of anyplace you plan to put in and make sure you know where your'e going; cheap insurance
    lots of shallow places... even miles offshore, gotta stay in the channel, coral is not kind to props or boat bottoms....OR FEET either.
    My family used to spend summer vacation down there (Key Largo).
    Have a good trip!
    Tim

CNeidhart
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the tips. I got a slip reserved at the Gallion Marina. Looks like a hot spot.
    I must get some charts, when I took a test ride in the boat, I was so surprised about how shallow the water was. Matter of fact, they had an area that had toilet seats on poles to let you know were the small channel was. Really wild! :crossx:
    I just sent a UPS box with snorkel gear and other minor stuff and forgot the water shoes! They probably are a must.
    I bought a Hydra Sport 3300 VX with twin 300 HP Yamahas
    http://www.hydra-sports.com/Boats/Bo...1&bid=225&sn=1
    I went to the Fort Lauderdale boat show to buy a Fountain 38LX or the Donzi 38ZF. I came really close to the Donzi, the Fountain, for the money, was not as good a boat, in my mind.
    While they were writting up the Donzi, we continued throught the boat show. I came across the Hydra Sports and it puts both of the other boats to same.
    Layout was better, full electronics, sleeping for 4, 54 mph and a $100K less then a new Donzi! It's 5' shorter, but it has more room in everyway.
    I'm in Phoenix, but I love boats. It's almost a sickness. The lake I favor is on the Colorado River, it's call Lake Mohave. I keep a houseboat and my go fast Donzi there. This boat is going to replace a Grady White I have in San Carlos Mexico.
    Thanks for the advice and help,
    Chuck

Sane Asylum
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the tips. I got a slip reserved at the Gallion Marina. Looks like a hot spot.
    I must get some charts, when I took a test ride in the boat, I was so surprised about how shallow the water was. Matter of fact, they had an area that had toilet seats on poles to let you know were the small channel was. Really wild! :crossx:
    I just sent a UPS box with snorkel gear and other minor stuff and forgot the water shoes! They probably are a must.
    I bought a Hydra Sport 3300 VX with twin 300 HP Yamahas
    http://www.hydra-sports.com/Boats/Bo...1&bid=225&sn=1
    I went to the Fort Lauderdale boat show to buy a Fountain 38LX or the Donzi 38ZF. I came really close to the Donzi, the Fountain, for the money, was not as good a boat, in my mind.
    While they were writting up the Donzi, we continued throught the boat show. I came across the Hydra Sports and it puts both of the other boats to same.
    Layout was better, full electronics, sleeping for 4, 54 mph and a $100K less then a new Donzi! It's 5' shorter, but it has more room in everyway.
    I'm in Phoenix, but I love boats. It's almost a sickness. The lake I favor is on the Colorado River, it's call Lake Mohave. I keep a houseboat and my go fast Donzi there. This boat is going to replace a Grady White I have in San Carlos Mexico.
    Thanks for the advice and help,
    Chuck
    Chuck.......Do you own property in Mexico?? If so, I'd be very interested in talking with you.......You're about the third person I've met recently that mentions spending a lot of time in Mexico and or keeping their boat there...
    BTW.....Beautiful boat!!!! Great for the big blue I'm sure..

erieboater
    While in Key West here are a couple of must do's
    Drink at Schooner Wharf, on the water
    Drink at the Green Parrot a local hangout
    Breakfast at Blue Heavean - Lobster Benedict is killer along with the Bloody Mary's
    If you are looking for a great dinner with unbelievable atmosphere go to Louie's backyard
    Don't forget to hit the Garden of Eden roof top bar above the bull.
    Have a couple for me.

CNeidhart
    Thanks, for all the good advise. I saved my liver this past weekend :sleeping: and plan on a full schedule this week. :hammer2:
    Thanks again,
    Chuck

erieboater
    You got to fill us in after the trip. Have a great one. Damn I'm jealous we are expecting snow later this week. You may want to leave your liver at home it is only gonna get hurt in Key West.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast