Thread: Only 4 PSI fuel pressure

82SleekCraft
    I finally put a fuel pressure gauge on my 460 today and found that fuel pressure is only at 4 during idle. Blipping the throttle doesn't change the pressure. I will take it out in the water tomorrow and will take note of what the pressure is cruising at 3500 RPM. I changed the fuel filter by upgrading to a big one which looks like an oil filter with replacable cartridge. Fuel pressure didn't increase. Weak fuel pump? I think this might be what caused my occasional hiccup while cruising at about 3500RPM for about 5 minutes last year.

This is all I'm running on my 454, but I have told that 6-7 is ideal.
    I have a mechanical fuel pump, not electrical, I am also told that I will need to go to electrical to attain the higher pressure requirement.
    Any thoughts?

jetblue
    You should'nt need much more pressure, as long as the volume is there. The filter you put on is a good step. Are there any restrictions, like fittings that are small ID that could be hogged out? That could help increase flow.

hack job
    you dont nessarly need a electric pump you could get away with a 130 gph or maybe a 100 gph mechanical pump those are made by carter or holley and they cost consitably less like 75 vs. 130 or so for a good electric one , and the carter is fully rebuildable so all you would need to do is rebuild it if you were haveing problems vs. buy a new one. any how it fed my twin turbo motor fine and at wot i still had 8 lbs of fuel.and that was 5500 rpm. good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)
    [This message has been edited by hack job (edited May 05, 2002).]

GM Killer
    4 pounds is ok if your carb(s) is/are set up for that. Feul Curve West makes perhaps the best regulator on the market, which allows the Pro Stockers of today to run with only 4-5 pounds, Warren Johnson is one of them.
    What needles and seats are you running? Are the carbs stock or are they modified? What about your motor? What kind of RPM are you turning, or wish to be?

82SleekCraft
    What needles and seats are you running? Are the carbs stock or are they modified? What about your motor? What kind of RPM are you turning, or wish to be?
    Stock 460 with 780CFM Holley and Edelbrock Performer intake manifold.
    Took the boat out today and ran without backfiring. Looks like the bigger fuel filter solved my problem. Thanks to all who responded. Although, I was only reading about 3.5 PSI of fuel pressure even at 3500 RPM. At 3500RPM, GPS read 32MPH. I got the motor up to 4300RPM (I didn't push it any more). From these numbers, does it seem like my pump needs a rebuild? I have an A cut Berkeley on a JG pump. I have yet to install the Place Diverter and will do GPS measurements once more. Otherwise, I was really happy with today's run.