Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: South OC low crime...DUH!

nodigg
    Just read this article in the Orange County Register and guess what, San Bernardino = high crime :supp: , OC = low crime rate . Who woulda' thunk it?
    I know there are a lot of south OC ***boaters here. I guess paying the premiums for real estate here has SOME good things going for it afterall...besides the weather that is.
    By GWENDOLYN DRISCOLL
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    Orange County has three of the safest cities in America, according to an independent survey that ranks the country's safest and most dangerous cities.
    With just one murder in 2003, Mission Viejo ranked fourth on a list of the 25 safest cities with populations of at least 75,000 in the annual City Crime Rankings report by Morgan Quitno Press, a Kansas research and publishing company.
    Lake Forest, which ranked 14th in 2002, moved to sixth place, and Irvine, 13th last year, placed 11th.

slink
    Don't believe everything your read :mix: Crime stats are very easy to manipulate, especially if no report is taken at all. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

RiverToysJas
    Don't believe everything your read :mix: Crime stats are very easy to manipulate, especially if no report is taken at all. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
    Yeah, murders go unreported all the time, so cities look better on paper. http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
    RTJas

nodigg
    Yeah, murders go unreported all the time, so cities look better on paper. http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
    RTJas
    We keep those things quiet down south!

Performance 19
    What about all the gang activity in San Clemente? Santa Ana? I'd like to see an overall county report. I grew up in Laguna Beach (north) and Fullerton, and am so glad we got out of OC 10 years ago.

slink
    RTJas
    There are 7 "part one" crimes which are mandated that all agencies must report to the FBI. These are how these surveys are condcuted. Here's a little law enforcement lesson. Vehicle Burglary is a part one crime. Vehicle Burg consist of using force to enter a vehicle with the intent to commit a theft. So when a patrolman in a certain "safe" city rolls up and see's a broken window on a $60,000 SUV this is probably what you'll hear. "O.K, sir, we'll go ahead and document it so you can report it to your insurance company, here's your vandalism report number". DING, DING, DING vandalism is not a part one crime. that's how it works. Not saying that OC is worst than SB, just dont beleive the all the hype.

Performance 19
    Soooo true Slink!!!

TheLurker
    Being a proud OC resident for over 30 years I like to see good press but believe what Slink is saying. It is all in the way various crimes are reported (and not just murder).
    I have not read the whole article or seen the list but Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley are usually on top and IMHO it is due to the way they report it. I don’t believe it is intentional to skew the statistics but just their criteria for reporting. By the way are those two cities on the list and if so where?

nodigg
    What about all the gang activity in San Clemente? Santa Ana? I'd like to see an overall county report. I grew up in Laguna Beach (north) and Fullerton, and am so glad we got out of OC 10 years ago.
    I grew up in Santa Ana. Graduated from Santa Ana Valley high school. I am very familiar with the gang problems that exhist(ed). That's one of the reason's we moved to Lake Forest in '83 to raise our family down here. We even have the gang element here but not like is present in low income areas like Santa Ana or Fontucky/San Bernardino. I NEVER believe everything that is printed but let's face it, my point was OF COURSE the South OC is safer, it is newer and has higher education/income levels. (DUH)!

slink
    Way to put that OC Dad in his place Slink
    No problem Tom, anything for a SW brother. BTW, I was talking to Barry the other day, he said the 29 mold is just sitting there empty. Might be a good time to make a smoking deal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast