Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CA Boat Property Taxes?

OliverM5
    Got a letter in the mail from the L.A. tax assessor - looks like they want to charge property tax on my 23' Scarab......is this for real?

Phat Matt
    Yep.

deltarat
    Its for real

C-2
    Yup, it's real.
    Just spoke to a guy that said he wasn't paying ~ his credit score not nailed 40 points when they put a lien on him. Don't let it go to lien status - not worth being reported on your credit report for 10 years AFTER the date the lien is satisfied.
    Search for the numerous other threads on what to do.

phebus
    Luxury tax= 1%
    That's why a lot of folks that use their boats more than 50% of the time in AZ waters, register them in AZ. The registration is more, but you don't pay the luxury tax, so on most boats, you realize a net savings.

Phat Matt
    Yup, it's real.
    Just spoke to a guy that said he wasn't paying ~ his credit score not nailed 40 points when they put a lien on him. Don't let it go to lien status - not worth being reported on your credit report for 10 years AFTER the date the lien is satisfied.
    Search for the numerous other threads on what to do.
    I got hit last year. I paid it on time and they still sent me a bill. I called them and they said I owed it. They sent me a lien letter so I paid it again. They attached a lien on me this year. Then they said they made a mistake and sent me a refund for the secind payment. I still had to clear up the lien though. The lien is off but it is still on my credit. The damn lien should have never been there in the first place and I have to deal with this BS.

Bolties
    I know the feeling, I was paying $990 a year! And, since we sold it two weeks into Jan, they forced us to pay for all of 2006 too! Even though we no longer have it!!! Thanks for the reminder, now I'm all heated again! We now know to not make the mistake of registering in CA. WHAT A CRIME!!!! As if we all don't pay enough in insurance already :messedup:

Havasu_Dreamin
    Register as an out of state resident in AZ. Boat has to be out of CA on January 1 AND must be used greater than 50% of the time outside of CA. Even better if you store it in AZ. BTW, the Coast Guard requires that you register your boat in the state in which you use it greater than 50% of the time.

pretty much the same thing that happened to phat matt happened to me.still on my credit 5 years later and knocking down my fico.thanks uncle sam(FU--ING PR-CKS)

Steamin' Rice
    yep it's for real.. break out the checkbook..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast