Thread: Marine detailing...

DickDanger
    Anyone that is still in need of getting their boat detailed before summer is here, give "Dangerous Auto & Marine Detailing" a chance. Hey, I am not above a few shameless plugs on the "Hot Boat" website!!! Hahahaha. Anyhow, I do oxidation removal, 2 coat hand/buffer wax, upholstery detailing, chrome polishing, etc. I do a better job than the rest of the yahoo's around, cause I actually give a damn about my work and customer service. Located in Riverside, CA. -Dick Danger ooooooooout!!!
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited February 04, 2002).]

Jungle Boy
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by DickDanger:
    [B]Anyone that is still in need of getting their boat detailed before summer is here, give "Dangerous Auto & Marine Detailing" a chance. Hey, I am not above a few shameless plugs on the "Hot Boat" website!!! Hahahaha. Anyhow, I do oxidation removal, 2 coat hand/buffer wax, upholstery detailing, chrome polishing, etc. I do a better job than the rest of the yahoo's around, cause I actually give a damn about my work and customer service. Located in Riverside, CA. -Dick Danger ooooooooout!!!
    Excellent job, I love working on my boats. I wish I could do more of it. One question; I enjoy a cold beer while I do mine. Is it tough to work on boats and not suck back a cools one!!

BowTie Rick
    Hey man, I am in Riverside and am lazy as hell. No, I just need a real good look see at some trouble spots on my ride. How do I get ahold of you... yellow pages, white pages, 411?

DickDanger
    JB, it isnt hard at all to do some wax off, wax on, as long as you have one of those cheesy beer holder hats.....double the bullets at one time!!! Wooooooooo...-DD out
    Rick, cool, what kind of trouble spots are we talking about here? Let me know...-DD out

BowTie Rick
    Long story. I bought a bare hull from Ultra in Montclair as they were turning into Cobra. It was a 00 model and had been outside for a while. Anyway, I built a motor and rigged and wired it all up myself (and friends) and it turned out wicked http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif There are purple stripes that wrap over the sides that I just can't get to shine up like the rest of the colors. All I have is elbow grease, no buffing wheel, and I don't trust car people to work on gel coat. It will be in front of K&N next Tue. for an employee car show if you want to check it out. Yes, I am a filter guru. This weekend is out, I have to work Sat. at the drags in Pomona (no beer) and Sunday I am going as a spectator (beer ok).

sandblasted
    DD..I just bought an 1996 Ultra xt...nice boat but somewhat oxidized...I've tried a few waxes but man my arms are getting tired...what kind of cleaner/wax do you recommend or use...I'd let you do it but I live in Lancaster and Riverside is too damn far to drive for a detail..

DickDanger
    Sand,
    Usually any good rubbing compound (McGuiers, etc) will do a real good job of getting the oxidation out. Here is what I would do:
    1. When you get the compound, try it on an inconspicuous area first (make sure that the surface is fairly cool to the touch) to see how it is going to work for your paint.
    2. When I use a rubbing compound, unless the paint is just totally screwed up, I prefer to do it by hand. Just personal preference though.
    3. After you have gotten as much, or all of the oxidation out, make sure that you seal the boat with a good couple coats of wax. Dont go cheap on the wax either, buy what you can afford.
    4. Another trick is: a lot of people seem to put coat after coat after coat of wax on, without stripping the old stuff off first. Usually once a year is good enough for taking the old stuff off, and a good alkaline based soap (like Dawn dish detergent) will take the old coats right off. Good luck!!!! -DD out

sandblasted
    DD...Thanks for the info..I got a quote up here in the desert for a full detail, interior and engine included for $200...but I figure i can do it myself and spend the $200 on beer and detail products!