Thread: Media blasting?

blown428fe
    Took a screw driver to the bow of my boat and scraped layers of paint right off. I found the original late 70s jel coat under the paint ,royal blue heavy metalic and silver heavy metalic. Im wondering if the media blasting will blow the paint off too the jel coat or will it blow through the jel coat too. The paint job is so bad it makes the body work look bad. The jel coat should be much straighter then the badly sanded multi layers of paint. Im not trying to save the jel but trying to get the hull straight again.
    Thanks for any help.

Squirtin Thunder
    Took a screw driver to the bow of my boat and scraped layers of paint right off. I found the original late 70s jel coat under the paint ,royal blue heavy metalic and silver heavy metalic. Im wondering if the media blasting will blow the paint off too the jel coat or will it blow through the jel coat too. The paint job is so bad it makes the body work look bad. The jel coat should be much straighter then the badly sanded multi layers of paint. Im not trying to save the jel but trying to get the hull straight again.
    Thanks for any help.
    PM Todd he may know !!!!
    Jim

BrendellaJet
    scrape it off with a razor blade. Just be careful not to gouge the gel and you wont to any damage. If you do gouge it, its easy to fix and is 10 times easier than sanding all that crap off. Scraped my whole boat in 2 hours.

A good blasting company can select the correct media and pressure to take off just what you want. If it's paint you want to remove, it's easy.

blown428fe
    Thanks for the advice, I might try scraping a little more and see how long its going to take. Im going to call the blaster first.

NAMarine
    You can also use a pressure washer around 3500 psi at a good angle to the paint and it will peel most of it right off...