Thread: Canfield 310's

steelcomp
    I started building an NA 496 BBC for a jet, and because tha RPM's were going to be relatively low I chose the Canfield 310's. Now I'm considering going with a blower and wondering if the 310's will hurt my deal, or if I can port them to hop them up enough for say, 1000 hp.
    Thanks
    steel

PC Rat
    The 540 in my Daytona is about 1000hp on spray. It has the 350cc Canfields and when I spoke with Dave at DNE, he said they should be pretty close for volume on the spray.
    Brian

MKEELINE
    Steel,
    I sent you a PM.

hack job
    contact dave at dne he has worked witht he canfields on a couple of motors. one i know is a 496bbc that is putting out like 820hp

flat broke
    Steelcomp,
    If you already have the 310s call Dave at DNE or John at Canfield and ask about getting a CNC profile done to open them up a bit. Im pushing 820hp on a 498ci setup out of my 3rd party profiled Canfields, but that's NA. There are some nice CNC profile jobs out there for that casting. Will the head support 1000hp? Sure. Will it do it in 310cc form? probalby. Will it be the best optimized setup for a blower? arguably not. One thing to think about is that depending on who's CNC work you go with, your combustion chamber size could change, and if you already have pistons in hand, that would suck... Although you can always spin the blower faster in the event of a lower static CR. Is this going in the Spectra?
    Chris

steelcomp
    Steelcomp,
    If you already have the 310s call Dave at DNE or John at Canfield and ask about getting a CNC profile done to open them up a bit. Im pushing 820hp on a 498ci setup out of my 3rd party profiled Canfields, but that's NA. There are some nice CNC profile jobs out there for that casting. Will the head support 1000hp? Sure. Will it do it in 310cc form? probalby. Will it be the best optimized setup for a blower? arguably not. One thing to think about is that depending on who's CNC work you go with, your combustion chamber size could change, and if you already have pistons in hand, that would suck... Although you can always spin the blower faster in the event of a lower static CR. Is this going in the Spectra?
    Chris
    I pretty much knew that it wouldn't be optimum at 310cc's. Just wondering if anyone had tried it.
    This is the 496 NA motor I was building for my Bahner jet with lots of compression, so IF I go blower, I'll need to swap out the pistons as well. I had Alan Johnson do the chambers and bowls on the Canfields, and was going to finish porting them my self for the NA jet deal, but now that I'm thinking of putting this in the Spectra, it's definately going to need a blower. The NA motor was going to put out about 835 - 840, but not on pump gas. The power would be right on for a high gear deal, as well, since I was building it around jet requirements, but I just can't imagine having the Spectra without a blower motor. (know what I mean?) and I'd like to be able to run pump gas.
    I'll talk to Chris at Alan Johnsons to see if they've got their hands on a CNC program for this head. He's basically right down the street, and since I worked there for 4 yrs...well, you get it. If they can't or don't, I'll talk with Dave and see what they get for it. I may just have to get out the ol' Milwaukee and start hoggin! (God, that dosen't sound like fun!).
    Question...would the new cnc port in the 310's be better than a stock 350cc Canfield? (older head)
    thanks
    steel

Hustler
    Call John @ Canfield about the cnc, he will know better than anybody how far you take them out and who could do it. I wanted a set of cnc 350's for my new motor but they were not available at the time but I know he was working on something.

Steel,
    I used them on a 572 with a 10-71 and twin carb selection. Camshaft was a mild hyd. flat. The heads basicly had bowl work and some short side work. Engine made a 1089 @ 5800 RPM. So yes they can do it, with the 496 you will have to turn the wick up a little rpm wise. The above was going in a single engine cat.
    Chris

steelcomp
    Steel,
    I used them on a 572 with a 10-71 and twin carb selection. Camshaft was a mild hyd. flat. The heads basicly had bowl work and some short side work. Engine made a 1089 @ 5800 RPM. So yes they can do it, with the 496 you will have to turn the wick up a little rpm wise. The above was going in a single engine cat.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris...check your PM's.