Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Mead 1, Lake Powell 0

burtandnancy
    Well, it may only be temporary, but Friday Lake Mead was up about 4 feet, some say 5 to 6, but definately up. The coffer dam inside Lake Mead Marina that was about 4/5 feet out of water, was just at the surface. Caused the marinas some grief as the dock ramps had to be moved again. The water was really nice until Saturday when it was rougher than I can remember in over 30 years. They had gust of 56 MPH. Hope to hear from someone who observed the level at Lake Powell. That 90 hour dump down the Grand Canyon really moved some water around. Lets hope the next few winters are wet enough to bring our favorite lakes back to normal (or close to it). This was big new on Las Vegas TV...

Dusty Times
    Did you install some type of dipstick or block heaters for this cold weekend?

burtandnancy
    As a matter of fact, that was interesting. The dip sticks I purchased from NAPA auto (for BBCs) were at least a foot too short for marine use. Didn't think of that. So we ended up with a heat lamp for this week, but after x-mas I'll go to the electric blanket and time clock. I also put a thermometer in the engine bay just to read it once in a while for my own information...

572Daytona
    I use one of these in my engine compartment of my cruiser and it seems to do the trick. I don't have to drain the block, headers or any of the holding tanks in the winter:
    Boatsafe heater (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=72980)

Mardonzi
    It dropped Powell about 3 feet. We were scrambling also to keep the marinas in the right place not to mention the parkies had a great time trying to locate and mark all the new underwater obstructions. The thing that chaps everyones a$$ up here about this is the whopping 10 days notice they gave everyone up here prior to blowing the tubes,,,

burtandnancy
    Mardonzi, don't you wonder about the timing of this serious dump? Powell needed that like a chapped ass. I wonder if the same people who decided on the dump talk to any of the agencies that are affected by the drought and the low water situation. Well, thats our tax dollars at work...

SHOTKALLIN
    Where does all the snow go if our lakes are so low? There are a lot of focking mountains out there. How much of that run off doesn't make it to Lake Powell? is any water just wasted?

Dusty Times
    Every year lately they say the snow was on the wrong side of the Rockies to make it down the Colorado River. :hammerhea

burtandnancy
    2004 was the 6th drought year. Got to hope for wet snow, lots of it and on the west side of the rockies. It took six years to get this bad, it won't come back in just one. Remember, Lake Mead is now approximately 1130 feet, it was down to 1088 in the winter of 66/67. Back then Powell was still filling. In '83 it was 1228 and going over the spillways. The lesson here is: don't mess with mother nature...

SHOTKALLIN
    Every year lately they say the snow was on the wrong side of the Rockies to make it down the Colorado River. :hammerhea
    so where does that water go? maybe they need to build an aqueduct somewhere because I guarantee you half that water is pouring into the gulf of mexico for no reason. probably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast