Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Converter ?

Taylorman
    Question for you car guys, which i am not so thats why im asking this question. When people talk about torque converters with different stall rpms, what does that mean. Like what does a 2500 rpm stall converter mean?

Blown 472
    It is when the convertor will engage, the higher the stall the higher the motor will rev before the car starts to move. The automatics answer to the clutch.

AMC-Nut
    Not true, the car will start to move before the stall rating but not be 100% hooked up until the stall RPM. Some slippage occurs until the stall the rating is met. Before I became an appraiser I was a tranny man for 8 years.

TIMINATOR
    Stall is not an absolute number, the higher the torque, the higher the stall will be. Many small blocks won't meet the stall expectations, especially with a single plane intake and big cam. Most big blocks won't have any trouble with it though. As an example, we had a used 2500 that stalled 2400 behind a mild 350. We tried it behind a roller, aluminum head, nitrous motor (482), it stalled 3100 on the motor,and 3800 on the squeeze(250 hp). Just for the heck of it, I put it in my pro-street 68 Nova with an 8-71 blown 468, it stalled 4200 RPM! After about 3 weeks of heavy duty street driving it DISINTEGRATED!!!! The new convertor is a custom deal, and for $680.00 it better last longer! TIMINATOR

AMC-Nut
    Hey TIMINATOR,
    Uh, I think your first converter was junk to begin with, the fins sound like they were flexing on you. A lot of remaned converters do this. A good converter by design should stall where it was designed to with any engine. A good converter should cost at least $500 and I have seen many, mostly drag applications, costing over $1000. There are actually adjustable converters that are really accurate and very strong. The only actual source I know for these is from an old Caddy, 72-76 I think but am not sure. They actually used mechanical linkage with a roller bearing, sort of likea throwout bearing on a standard. Goofy I know but they worked. Also there's the good old lockup job, which is very useful in some cases.

Blown 472
    Hey TIMINATOR,
    Uh, I think your first converter was junk to begin with, the fins sound like they were flexing on you. A lot of remaned converters do this. A good converter by design should stall where it was designed to with any engine. A good converter should cost at least $500 and I have seen many, mostly drag applications, costing over $1000. There are actually adjustable converters that are really accurate and very strong. The only actual source I know for these is from an old Caddy, 72-76 I think but am not sure. They actually used mechanical linkage with a roller bearing, sort of likea throwout bearing on a standard. Goofy I know but they worked. Also there's the good old lockup job, which is very useful in some cases.
    Convertors will stall higher with more torque. This was told to me by the guys at turbo action.

AMC-Nut
    Yes this is true but they are rated at a set torque number and should, if a good converter stall at that rpm.

Blown 472
    Yes this is true but they are rated at a set torque number and should, if a good converter stall at that rpm.
    k, whatever, every convetor company I have talked to told me the same thing. :devil:

TIMINATOR
    The only convertors that I have ever seen that have a narrower stall range depending on HP, were the old 1972 Torino ones for the 351 HO 4v motors. They would stall 3000 behind most anything, I know,I had a 72 Cobra Jet Torino, bought it new in 1972, modified the motor a LOT and the stall never changed more than 100 RPM. Had a lot of racecars and street/ strip ones. From 12 sec. to mid 7s,all with automatics, torque varies stall,PERIOD.Since we are in the Phoenix,AZ. area, I personally know many of the people at Hughes Convertors, if you have doubts, call and ask THEM about this. TIMINATOR P.S. they know me as Timm from TUF-ENUF Auto & Marine perf. ask for Randy or Jeff, they'll explain it to you.

AMC-Nut
    Hey Timinator,
    Just curious, did Tuf Enuf use to rent jet skiis on Rio Salado? I think the owner is the son of the manager at fractured fiberglass. Do you know these guys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast