Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540BBC help

machinehead
    I am currently building a pair of 540s for a friend of mine.They have rec port heads with 2.250 int. 1.88 ex.the motors will have 10 to 1 comp.Howards hyd roller cams.612/.629 with 236/242 dur.We are planning for Team G manifolds with single 1050 on each motor.The boat is a 1991 35 Cigarette it is very heavy .My question is have i over cammed these motors or too much carb? the boat is run at altitude on Lake Tahoe so i think the compresion can only help .Would appreciate any input from anyone from experience with a similar combination.

Tinkerboater
    The cam looks small and I would run the Holley HP 950. Also think about 2.30 intake valves. What heads are you using.

machinehead
    The heads are factory rec ports engines were originaly 502s they are un ported with 2.250 int although i have not finished machining them and still can make changes to lay out of motor [QUOTE]Originally posted by machinehead
    [This message has been edited by machinehead (edited January 05, 2002).]

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

machinehead
    Thanks for the input .Do you think the compression ratio is a problem . I was thinking that at altitude it would probably help. Although I am still in the process of machining the parts .I can still make changes if I need to .

Racing Ray

Tinkerboater
    You need headwork to get those heads to flow. Stock they won't do what you want. And as far as bottom end I am running a bigger cam with extensive headwork on the stock rec. port iron GM heads with 2.3 intake valves. On a 34 SCARAB that is heavier than and 1 ft. longer than the 35 FOUNTAIN and I can pull skiers up. The boat is a rocket. E-MAIL Jim Valakeo at valakoraceheads@aol.com
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited January 06, 2002).]

Racing Ray

machinehead
    I am currently trying to talk the owner into some aluminum heads. If he declines then I will reexamine the stockers although with two engines everytime I suggest something his wallet gets twice as thin

Tinkerboater
    Just remember that you want to do the job right or it will come back to bite you. If you use the stock heads make sure you have a reputable head shop that works on boats do the work. And make sure you bronse wall the guides even if the heads are new. If you don,t do anything to the stock heads make sure the boat owner knows that you will not be responsible for him not having the extra 100 HP per engine. YES that is about what JIM VALAKEO will get you. All Jim does is boat engines. He can set you up with a package or just the heads then you can put it all togeather and look like a hero to your buddy. LEAVE THE DISIGN WORK TO THE EXPERTS untill you know what your doing.
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited January 07, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast