Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CATS: Open bow, Closed bow or Deckboat??

Liquid Muscle
    OK, Im trying to make the right call on what boat to buy. I know I want a CAT because the ride is SWEET. I don't get how some say an open bow is bad for a cat because of added weight and the change in ride. I mean it makes sense, but if the added weight up front is so bad..... then why is ok in a deckboat???? :hammerhea
    Do any of you guys have experience comparing the three to each other?

gmocnik
    for the purist, cutting a whole in the deck of a cat for seating is heresy. but it was the compromise i had to make for the family. all in all, the performance compromise is minimal (without people seated in the front) and the benifit of the extra room is great (keeps the kids further apart and minimizes the bickering). when people are up front, a little positive trim and the ride stays the same. it actually helps rolling over onto plane with people up front.
    my open bow 25 daytona runs over 110. do i really need the extra 3 mph?

blown23vee
    Mine is an open bow Daytona (same compromise as above), and like he said, it does have it's family advantages with only a few miles per hour loss. Well worth it to be as versatile as it is & still be able to have an awesome performance boat. I've actually gotten used to the whole open bow thing but it did seem odd in a cat at first.

NorCalCat
    I have a family and the closed bow still has plenty of room. Closed looks so much more bad ass. Open is nice for the added room. Look at some of the boats with a roomy cockpit and you might just go with an closed bow and have plenty of room. Mine is a force Offshore.
    I did!

pussycat
    I think it depends on how much power you plan on running!! I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys in their open bow cats doing 80 or 90 mph with people or kids in the front. Stuuupid!!!.
    If you plan on getting a deck boat or open bow cat go easy on the power. If you have the ponies you will use them!! Cats are made to run with as little hull in the water as possible. Put some gear and people up front and half your boat will be in the water, unless of course your doing 110 mph!!

BADBLOWN572
    personally, I think that the open bow is the only way to go. I have been 118 in mine before, so speed is not a problem. The extra seating and storage is great. Everyone else is right, don't go hauling ass with passengers in the front. It comes down to being smart. It is nice though when you want to load a bunch of people in the boat and go partying. Instead of taking 2 boats, everyone can pile into the one. Just my .02

Liquid Muscle
    Stupid because its not safe for the people up front?
    [QUOTE=pussycat] I think it depends on how much power you plan on running!! I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys in their open bow cats doing 80 or 90 mph with people or kids in the front. Stuuupid!!!.

gmocnik
    [QUOTE=Liquid Muscle]Stupid because its not safe for the people up front?
    No...It is stupid because at 130mph their beer will spray out and make it difficult to see oncoming jetskis............
    gm

Liquid Muscle
    I hear you guys. I can definitely use the extra room. I just didnt want to make the mistake of doing something (open bow) that turns it into a completely different boat that I wouldn't be happy with.
    I don't mind the looks of it open, especially on the Daytona with canopies, I think it looks pretty clean, and I can live with it being 5mph slower than a closed bow. ...Yeah, I say that now, while half of the people out there would give their left nut for another 5mph :sqeyes:
    Its funny how as I get advice and talk this whole boat thing out, the boat & motor I want keep getting bigger and bigger.....
    Thanks, I appreciate your guys expereinced advice, it's really been helpful. Hopefully once I get one of these things I can hook up with you guys on the water.

Liquid Muscle
    [QUOTE=Liquid Muscle]Stupid because its not safe for the people up front?
    No...It is stupid because at 130mph their beer will spray out and make it difficult to see oncoming jetskis............
    gm
    LMAO
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast