Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank ?

Taylorman
    Can someone clarify the difference between an internally balanced and externally balanced crankshaft. On an externally balanced crank, the harmonic balancer and flywheel has weights to balance the crank. Am i right so far? The internally balanced crank does not and its perfectly balanced so it does not need these weights on the flywheel and balancer. Is that correct? Are there any pro's and con's. Whats better?

Blown 472
    Can someone clarify the difference between an internally balanced and externally balanced crankshaft. On an externally balanced crank, the harmonic balancer and flywheel has weights to balance the crank. Am i right so far? The internally balanced crank does not and its perfectly balanced so it does not need these weights on the flywheel and balancer. Is that correct? Are there any pro's and con's. Whats better?
    Yes, external weights. The pro on the internally balanced is you can change torque convertors with out balance issues. At least on fords and mopars, if you mix the two you will know it.

Moneypitt
    I think one of the issues is the amount of rotating weight outside the main saddles/caps. An internally balanced crank has all the counter weights between the mains, better support. The external weights are sorta hung out on the ends of the crank and could add to the whipping effect, especially at the higher RPMs.......MP

Bearing life is much greater on internal.
    Chris

Taylorman
    Thanks Guys

LakesOnly
    T-Man,
    If you ahve a factory external balance deal or are looking at asian strokers that are external balance deals, you should know that these rotating assmeblies can still be internally balanced if you pefer. It will be necessary to have the other bolt-on components that are specific to the internal balance assemblies though (such as I.B. crank spacer, etc.).
    LO

Taylorman
    One more question. The block i have is a Gen VI with stock 4 bolt caps and bolts. Are these fine or should i get ARP studs? What about putting a windage tray in. Can this be done with bolts?

Moneypitt
    Lets get on the same pages here. What are you planning to build? These questions need to be addressed according to the end product, to just $tart changing thing$ will be expen$ive and in most cases un necessary. Lay out which direction you're going and everyone here will help you spend your money, hopefully in the right places..............MP

Taylorman
    Lets get on the same pages here. What are you planning to build? These questions need to be addressed according to the end product, to just $tart changing thing$ will be expen$ive and in most cases un necessary. Lay out which direction you're going and everyone here will help you spend your money, hopefully in the right places..............MP
    I need to put my plans in my signature since im asking so many questions. BBC for my jet boat. 500-600 HP. Thats about all i know right now. Gen VI 454 block, single carb, most likely Edelbrock Marine Perf RPM heads, 4.25" stroke crank, pump gas.

Moneypitt
    Last words, "pump gas" sorta confuses the rest of the statement, especially the HP goals. Pump gas really restricts comp ratio, which in turn restricts HP. Back to the drawing board.........MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast