Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Material for Sub Woofer Enclosures

Shallow Minded
    "Labor and frustration doing it a second time will easily make up the difference of dollars spent up front..."
    Good point, I'd just as soon not have to tear my bench seat apart again... Can you fill me in on the resin part, though? Available at a local hardware store? Brush on a couple of coats and you're good-to-go? Thanks in advance...

Havasu Hangin'
    "Labor and frustration doing it a second time will easily make up the difference of dollars spent up front..."
    Good point, I'd just as soon not have to tear my bench seat apart again... Can you fill me in on the resin part, though? Available at a local hardware store? Brush on a couple of coats and you're good-to-go? Thanks in advance...
    The reason marine ply is so expensive is that not only is it pressure treated, but it uses higher quality wood, so there are no gaps in the plys, which makes it consistant. MDF accomplishes the same thing, but in a different way.
    If you use regular ply, I think Roz is telling you to get some resin from West Marine, and coat all the surfaces to keep water from penetrating the wood. Good interior shops will do the same thing to seats- it makes them last longer (prevents dry rot from moisture).
    If you want them to last longer than the rest of your boat, use some fiberglass!

ROZ
    The reason marine ply is so expensive is that not only is it pressure treated, but it uses higher quality wood, so there are no gaps in the plys, which makes it consistant. MDF accomplishes the same thing, but in a different way.
    If you use regular ply, I think Roz is telling you to get some resin from West Marine, and coat all the surfaces to keep water from penetrating the wood. Good interior shops will do the same thing to seats- it makes them last longer (prevents dry rot from moisture).
    If you want them to last longer than the rest of your boat, use some fiberglass!
    What he said...
    You can get polyurethane resin at Home Depot, Lowes, or like HH said, West Marine...
    If you want to take it a step further, glass the box then add 2 layers of fiberglass mat

Shallow Minded
    was just out on West Marine's web site, any recommendations for a resin and hardener combo?

ROZ
    fastener-express.com (http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=218)
    K-Grip upholstery adhesive (http://www.glfi.com/supplycatalogg.htm)
    fiberglass and resin @ uscomposites.com (http://www.uscomposites.com/)
    Now all you need it wood
    EDIT: I meant polyester resin not polyurethane. You can use epoxy resin, though...

Sweet Addiction
    I was at the local Boating store and I can pick up a gallon of Polyester Resin for 24.99 a Gal. I thought it was a pretty good deal. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to seal all my seats and pieces in Resin to keep them from wrotting again. When I start my project in a few weeks I am going to take pictures and post in a new thread. Good luck to all.

ROZ
    Fantastic! Keep us posted! Remember to put it in the "howto" section as well

Eliminator 4 Life
    I had my speaker boxes line x seems to be doing okay..........

Sweet Addiction
    Fantastic! Keep us posted! Remember to put it in the "howto" section as well
    I will take pics of my re-build including the floor and the rear seat and post in the how to section so everyone can get a look at it. Maybe it will help some out. I have talked to guys in the Central section that have boats like mine and they are also in the midst of projects.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12