Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berk Pump noise

ddevore
    Hey guys, I have a stupid question. At idle speeds how much noise - if any should a pump make?

If you mean the rattle at low idle? it's normal, above 1000RPM it should be gone, other wise you got problems. Any other noise is also bad at any RPM.
    Sleek

ddevore
    That's all I'm hearing, under any throttle the noise goes away - Just did not wanna have something die when I could prevent it.

Check the u-joints may sure they are good, and give'm a shot of grease. The noise is from the yoke rattling.

'76Southwind
    Thanx for the info, I've got the same rattle at idle

SmokinLowriderSS
    Sleek's got it, but any grinding noises, vibrations, anything else that doesn't involve smooth & quiet is likely the only warning the thrust bearing will ever give. Tough to hear with headers tho. :yuk:

Rooster
    I have the same thing at idle! Always thought it was something bad with the thrust bearing so I got it rebuilt, but same deal...
    I just turned my idle up to around 1k... And no mo problem

El Prosecutor
    Check the u-joints may sure they are good, and give'm a shot of grease. The noise is from the yoke rattling.
    Is there a reliable way to check the U-Joints? Mine is probably 30 years old and predates a thrust bearing failure that may have put some added stress on it. I haven't noticed anything in particular wrong with it, but I am a little paranoid and would like to make sure it is OK.

Cheap Thrills
    as my engine idles rumpida rumpida rumpida , the jet goes chugga chugga chugga but no noise above 1000rpm. as cheap as universals are it's not a bad idea to change them super simple to do if you have a bench vise and a couple of sockets.
    C.T. :wink:

El Prosecutor
    as my engine idles rumpida rumpida rumpida , the jet goes chugga chugga chugga but no noise above 1000rpm. as cheap as universals are it's not a bad idea to change them super simple to do if you have a bench vise and a couple of sockets.
    C.T. :wink:
    And another $150. . . . BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand
    I thought I payed cash for my boat, but I have been making payments every month! But I am also cutting out early and going to the lake today!!! WOOOHOOO!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast