Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puter problems again ...

FMluvswater
    ... this is getting really frustrating for me.
    Last week my power supply died. Had to have it replaced. Since then I've been experiencing online system crashes regardless if I use Mozilla or IE. I tried switching to IE in case there was a problem with Mozilla Firefox but same thing happened again so I'm back to using Mozilla. After each crash and automatic reboot Microsoft takes me to an error message page and tells me the crash was caused by one of my drivers but it's up to me to figure out which one. Yeah right like that'll happen. I'm a novice user. No idea wtf to do with that vague explanation. So then if that isn't a good enough challenge to overcome that possessed mouse problem is happening again and this time nothing is getting rid of it.
    SpyAudit claims I have 1 instance of Adware on my system - something called PurityScan but their own program Spysweeper isn't detecting it. SpyAudit finds it but doesn't show me where to find it for manual deletion and it isn't made to fix it. Their SpySweeper is supposed to find and fix it but doesn't. Ad-Aware SE isn't finding it. SpyBot isn't finding it (it's updated and immunized). Trend Micro isn't finding it. Panda online isn't finding it. Stinger and AVG aren't finding any trojans or viruses either (both are up to date).
    Oh yeah and Spysweeper keeps alerting me to a "startup change Kernelfault entry has been deleted" not exact wording but close enough. Gave me option to deny change so I did that and nothing seemed to happen. Next reboot after crash I got same alert again so I tried allow change that time hoping that would end the alerts but that didn't change the status quo either. Next reboot the alert cropped up again; I looked for the "miney mo" option since "eeney" and "meeny" have been ineffectual but there doesn't seem to be one. :notam: Why the alert if it's of no consequence what I do about it?
    I have never felt quite so lacking in intelligence as I do right now. I'm too stupid to be using a computer. That pretty much sums up how I feel.
    I am not looking to be an expert at this I just want my computer to work how it's supposed to work. I've tried my best to protect it from malicious stuff to increase odds my computer will last long but I'm at a loss now. It may be nearing the label "toast" at the ripe old age of 21 months. :cry:
    I think whatever is possible for me to try I've either already tried it or the solution is simply too complicated for a novice like me to attempt even with excellent advice. Paying for repair is not an option at this time either unfortunately or I so would!
    I guess I just needed to vent about it all and give my friends heads up that I may be absent for an extended time in the near future if my computer continues to deteriorate. Oh I intend to keep trying to come here until it absolutely won't let me anymore. No way would I leave voluntarily . I just figure ETA to "my computer is complete toast" is not so far off.
    ~F(uberfrustrated)M :notam: :sleeping: :coffeycup

Cas
    not sure what version of windows you have but try right clicking My Computer, ckick on Properties and then Hardware Profiles. If there is anything in there with an exclamation point, that could be your problem.

Cas
    Next, click on Start, click Run, type in msconfig and then click on Startup. That will tell you what programs are starting up everytime you turn on your computer. Write down all the items that are checked, post them up and someone can tell you what's not needed.

Moneypitt
    Try restoring your computer to a time before the problems started, works for me, along with spybot, and believe me, I am about as computer dumb as they come......MP

FMluvswater
    Okay thank you both for the advice.
    Try restoring your computer to a time before the problems started, works for me, along with spybot, and believe me, I am about as computer dumb as they come......MP
    I did a System Restore and have my fingers crossed. :clover:
    not sure what version of windows you have but try right clicking My Computer, ckick on Properties and then Hardware Profiles. If there is anything in there with an exclamation point, that could be your problem.
    Next, click on Start, click Run, type in msconfig and then click on Startup. That will tell you what programs are starting up everytime you turn on your computer. Write down all the items that are checked, post them up and someone can tell you what's not needed.
    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. Nothing in Hardware Profiles was flagged with an exclamation point.
    Here's my System Configuration Start Up Menu List
    *Item name on left - command line on right
    SiSUSBrg - C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
    RunDll32 cmicnfg - RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    NvCpl - RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    nwiz - nwiz.exe/install
    SOUNDMAN - SOUNDMAN.EXE
    realsched - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"
    jusched - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re 1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
    ViewMgr - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    zlclient - "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    gnotify - C:\Program files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    dumprep 0 -k - %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    NVMCTRAY - RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
    TeaTimer - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    UD Agent - C:\PROGRA~1\UNITED~1\UD.EXE
    SmWizard - C:\WINDOWS\System\SmWizard.exe
    qttask - "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    Anything I should remove? :idea: Thanks.

Cas
    nwiz - nwiz.exe/install
    SOUNDMAN - SOUNDMAN.EXE
    [b]qttask - "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime[/gb]
    Well, the ones in bold would be my choices to dump on Startup along with possibly some others. You can try those, use the computer to see how it works for you, might help not running so many things. Just keep the list handy so you can put it back.
    The other things I would do is a scandisk and defrag. Have you deleted your temporary internet files lately?

shueman
    GET A MAC....!!!
    Friggen' Bill Gates.... :angry2:

Sleek-Jet
    GET A MAC....!!!
    Friggen' Bill Gates.... :angry2:
    Fock Steve Jobs.... Hippy...
    Before I get flamed by all the peace-niks running macs, that was a joke. :chi:

hoolign
    Okay thank you both for the advice.
    I did a System Restore and have my fingers crossed. :clover:
    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. Nothing in Hardware Profiles was flagged with an exclamation point.
    nwiz - nwiz.exe/install
    SOUNDMAN - SOUNDMAN.EXE
    FM -crotchticle.exe\wet\o-gasm\boom:boom/ run!
    qttask - "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    Anything I should remove? :idea: Thanks.
    I think the second to last program may be causing a fault!

RiverRatMike
    get a dell dimension computer and you'll never have problems again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast