Thread: Air Shifter

SANGER-RICH
    How hard are they on your gearbox, I had a flat and tried putting it in gear with the motor running and it killed the engine and made a lot of noise when I did it. Did not hurt it but never did it again.

DetroitJim
    Killed the engine? I don't know how the air shift itself could have caused that. All it does is actuate the shift lever with a 3/4 dia. air cylinder set to about 100 psi. Works great for me and most everyone at the drags. Now if you are idling at 1500 rpm and running 1.70 gears, you will be better off with a clutch, although lots of guys still run a plain old air shifter.
    DJ

voodooCanoe
    Are you running a whirl-away? If not you may have the old two pin style of coupler, then air or no air it won't want to go in well. The one you need is a three ramp style and they go in easy , will still make a clunk noise, but it won't
    hurt anything. Just make sure it is engage before you wack the throttle. They
    tend not to like it much if your not.

SANGER-RICH
    Killed the engine? I don't know how the air shift itself could have caused that. All it does is actuate the shift lever with a 3/4 dia. air cylinder set to about 100 psi. Works great for me and most everyone at the drags. Now if you are idling at 1500 rpm and running 1.70 gears, you will be better off with a clutch, although lots of guys still run a plain old air shifter.
    DJ
    I did not have a airshifter I had a 12 degree casale with a wirlaway and a manual locking shift handle

colechillin
    I have one in my cole. Its the only way to go. A company by the name of Nor-cal controls has everything you need. They are out of san jose CA. It will cost you about 150.00 in parts. I use a 2.5 pound bottle which works well. Hope this info helps.

P-Money
    Cheapest fix:
    Start to boat in gear.