Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zerk fitting on Berkeleys

Inciong_A
    I spoke to one of designers of the Berkeley JG when I called CP Performance. I asked him about how to properly lubricate the bowl bearing. He said that grease should be injected into one of the holes on top of the bowl until grease oozes out of the other hole. I am in the process of installing a zerk fitting on one of the holes. Since zerk fittings only allow material to go into it and not out of it, I figured that I should not put a zerk fitting on the other hole. What do you guys put on the other hole to prevent water from going in there? Do you guys just put some sort of a threaded plug? Thanks in advance.

johnnie jetboat
    I use two 1/8" pipe plugs when I'm done lubing the bearing.
    I have the original owners manual that came with my JG pump and it calls for lower unit gear oil(ep90). What's up with that?

Blown509Liberator
    I have run AMT Aggressor and Berk bowls. Amt and Aggr use a zert fitting. Berk uses gear oil. witch is better? This is how it was put to me. Use what the original Mfg. set it up to use. The Grease will lube it but has a tendency to thrown away from the shaft as it begins to spin at Gear oil will run back to the shaft faster. Again witch is better? I think I would stick to what the mfg. designed it with

Berkeley use to say 90weight only. There is a difference between oil and grease seals. I think if a person was to get wild with a grease gun the oil seals will not hold up.

Blown509Liberator
    I have run AMT Aggressor and Berk bowls. Amt and Aggr use a zert fitting. Berk uses gear oil. witch is better? This is how it was put to me. Use what the original Mfg. set it up to use. The Grease will lube it but has a tendency to thrown away from the shaft as it begins to spin as Gear oil will run back to the shaft faster. Again witch is better? I think I would stick to what the mfg. designed it with

spectras only
    we have covered this topic before,I have a berkeley bowl which was originally designed for 90 W oil.It's a 1976 vintage unit.I've been using a grease fitting since 1978,still have the original shaft with over 2000 hrs on it.Only replaced tha tail bearing once probably 10 years ago.{didn't needed,but since I had the bowl off for inspection I replaced it anyway).The oil seal would only blow out if you don't remove the pipe thread plug while you greasing with the zerk fitting.AMT,Dominator using grease fittings for a long time with proven record.It comes down to personal preference,nothing wrong using oil ,the grease method just simpler .

rivercrazy
    On my AT, you can't overgrease the front bearing. If you overgrease it you just end up making a mess in the bilge (been there done that). I think the only way you can damage the seal is with a machine operated grease gun, not a hand grease gun.
    The tail bearing is different. When you feel the first signs of resistance using a hand grease gun, its full. Don't keep pumping as you could blow the seal.

Blown509Liberator
    Blow a seal ......No it's ice cream...never mind it was a bad joke to start with..
    [This message has been edited by Blown509Liberator (edited July 12, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Blown509Liberator (edited July 12, 2001).]

I work in the Trucking Industry and the trailers we use have a large outer and inner wheel bearing. We have tested 90w oil and grease on the same application for thousands of miles. As far as we can tell there is no difference in bearing life. The only problem is if you use grease and then go back to 90w the seal will more than likely not hold the oil.

froggystyle
    Blown509, I know that joke!!! Is that the one about Marine's? Or the blond in the bar?
    Please E-mail me the whole joke, I have been trying to find it for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast