Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: employment

beached1
    I'd like to know more about available positions in Tire inflation Engineering. 401k? Stock options? Profit sharing?

flat broke
    Originally posted by racingrascal:
    I would say you would have to know what you wanted to do in the boat business. Gel Coat, Rigger, Sales, Tire inflater, fork lift driver? What is your back ground? Figure out your back and see if it fits in a boat shop. If so go to the factorys and see what they have to offer in your line of work.
    Andy
    I don't know Andy, after seeing that tricked out forklift with the flames and custom seat, I think I might be looking in that direction. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

Harlem
    If you want a job in the boating bussiness, go see Pete, at Pro Marine on grand ave. in Lake Elsinore. He is the owner. I used to work for him as a mechanic, but beware he is a real jerk sometimes. He is always looking for help. Pretty cool though I used to take the customers boats out on lake tests after I was done fixing them. Some of them hauled ass!!!! Also met Jeremy Mcgrath there. Pretty cool guy!
    Harlem

DEL51
    Are you considering new boat construction or wrenching on customers boats? I did an entry level job with an offshore race boat builder and had some bad experiences that I attribute more to the man in charge than the job itself.If you decide on new boat construction, tour the facility and ask specific questions about what you will be asked to do.Pay attention to the clenliness and size of the building, you don't want to be tripping over people and equipment while doing your job.Be aware of the chemicals involved.If the man in charge is a jerk,look elsewhere.I was observant and learned thier contacts for supplies. I am now buildig a 19ft jet for a friend.I had a lot of meanial tasks such as emptying a full dumpster to find something the boss accidentally threw away.I took what knowledge I could and gave him a one day notice.He was upset cause I took 2 sawzall blades while cutting up a plug,I didn't want to run back inside to fetch another when the first broke.Penny wise and pound foolish.I look at it as an even deal considering the knowledge gained.Rigging is alot better than construction,but if you would work for a guy like John at Ultra,I am sure your experience would be better than mine.

MellowYelloW
    I have been out to R&D marine to talk with harold a few times but everytime i go out there he is not there. I would like to wrench on boats but rigging sounds like it would be good to. just need to find someone that would be willing to train me.
    thanks for the input.
    brian

Badseed
    I am so glad this thread developed! I worked at Dave's Custom Boats back home. Now I'm at school in the bay area and I am looking to pick up some extra cash. If anyone in the bay area checks this out and is looking for someone to do side work or maybe an actual job, please let me know!

jroos
    Trust me! Stay where you are at. This business depends solely on the economy. It use to be seasonal but here in Louisiana, it doesn`t really matter time of year anymore. Past 5 years have been banner years for plaesure/fishing boats. Commercial has staggerred since oil fell in `98 (that`s nation wide). All business commercially is going to Korea where price slashing is terring apart the global shipbuilding industry. BUY AMERICAN IF YOU CAN FIND IT! Good luck, but believe me, it is not as glamorous as the mags have it. Ask Greg, or any other boat builder. This is hard work. And the competetion is fierce. Look at all the boat builders that have gone under and the companies that are being sold or consolidated. My strong advise is to wait for the economy to pick up before you make your move. Now is deffinately not the time to look for a job. Unless your wife makes cash.

spectras only
    I'll go along with Jroos's advise ! If you have a steady job now ,stay with it until the economy improves. I work for a company here in B.C that was quoted the second largest in earnings [we have 4200 people worldwide,1200 in vancouver]and our product is unequalled by any company in the world ,yet we took a 10% paycut to avoid layoffs. Nuff said ! BTW Bombardier is doing very well worldwide,try to find a job with any of their business partners.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 26, 2002).]

jroos
    Spectra, Bombadier meening the Co. that took over OMC? If so I wouldn`t push people out of line to work there. The Ficht was the end of OMC and will be for Bombadier. Thought that motor was close? Wrong, pistons are still melting and holes are being blown in them like "Bunker Busters" on Afghanistan!
    P.S.- The software upgrades suck too!

spectras only
    Jroos ,I'm talking about Bombardier,manufacturer of aircrafts,snowmobiles,seedos etc...! They do better than any high tech companies now, not to mention boat building.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast