Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Selection???

Greaser
    I am looking to do a little upgrading on the ole jet boat this winter and was wondering what you guys think would be the best cam for my needs.
    Here is what I am running now. It is a stock 460, that has been bored 40 over, stock heads, with an Edelbrock Torker 460 intake with a holley 750 with vacume sec. I am also running a stock elec. ignition, that I plan on upgrading to all MSD over the winter also. Also running Bassett headers.
    It sits in a 75 Southwind, with a berk JB-A with a divereter, and is currently turning about 4800 rpms,
    Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated

Squirtin Thunder
    I would go with the XM278 complete kit and have the heads done and put the CJ valves in. Get a MSD ready to run dist and a MSD coil. With that combo you should turn 5200rpms with your pump. I would sugest some sort of loader.
    Jim
    Give me a call anytime if you need help
    1-928-704-1158

mgar_red
    I would go with the XM278 complete kit
    What brand/make of cam is this? I was thinking about future upgrades on my stock 460 as well and wanted to start $aving for it. Thanx

78Eliminator
    Before the pros will chime in here, you will need to give specific details about your heads (chamber cc and intake runners), current compression ratio, and where you want your motor to make power (what RPMs). Then, I bet you will get some answers.....
    You're gonna have to do more than just a cam.

Blown 472
    I am looking to do a little upgrading on the ole jet boat this winter and was wondering what you guys think would be the best cam for my needs.
    Here is what I am running now. It is a stock 460, that has been bored 40 over, stock heads, with an Edelbrock Torker 460 intake with a holley 750 with vacume sec. I am also running a stock elec. ignition, that I plan on upgrading to all MSD over the winter also. Also running Bassett headers.
    It sits in a 75 Southwind, with a berk JB-A with a divereter, and is currently turning about 4800 rpms,
    Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated
    Stock replacement pistons?? if so you are at about 8.3 to 1 comp ratio. Chances are you have a D3ve head on it which is a good head with some work.
    The stock ford electronic ignition is a great set up and you can get a module any place but if you like the msd then use it.

Squirtin Thunder
    Stock replacement pistons?? if so you are at about 8.3 to 1 comp ratio. Chances are you have a D3ve head on it which is a good head with some work.
    The stock ford electronic ignition is a great set up and you can get a module any place but if you like the msd then use it.
    I second that !!!
    CompCams Xtreem Marine XM278-H
    You will need to do a little bowl work and smooth out the airboss in the exaust port. With porting you may be capable of turning 5600rpms.

Greaser
    Thanks for the great input guys. Yes my pistons are stock replacement. And I will get some casting numbers up ASAP. I kinda figured I would have to do something to the heads, port and polish, and exc. I was thinking of some performer rpm heads, but they are a bit pricey, and I wanted to get the interior done this winter also.
    Im not looking to be the fastest on the lake, just tired of being the slowest

Greaser
    You're gonna have to do more than just a cam.
    What else would you recomend? I just figured the cam would be a good place to start.

Greaser
    The casting numbers I found on the heads are D3ve-A2A. My block is also a 72 year model, if that helps.
    Also wondering where is the best place to buy marine cams?
    I really do apprerciate all the advice you guys can give me.

Blown 472
    The casting numbers I found on the heads are D3ve-A2A. My block is also a 72 year model, if that helps.
    Also wondering where is the best place to buy marine cams?
    I really do apprerciate all the advice you guys can give me.
    I have had a few cams thru my motors and the cams I liked the best with zero bullshit have been isky's. Went thru a few comps cams and lifters and had nothing but trouble with them have run isky's in my cars and my boat and they work and run. They make two hydraulic boat cams for fords.
    Some head work would help if not get a great valve job and have them use a radius cutter on the exhaust.
    What size carb you running?? recurve the dist too.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast