Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistent coughs melt away with chocolate

FMluvswater
    http://www.chocolate.org/health/chocolate.jpg
    An ingredient in chocolate may actually be a more effective cough medicine than traditional remedies, a new study suggests.
    And not only that, the UK-based research showed that the cocoa-derived compound had none of the side effects associated with standard drug treatments for persistent coughs.
    “These sorts of coughs, often lasting for weeks after a viral infection, can be difficult to treat, especially since it is not possible to give large doses of opiate-based medication to patients due to the side effects,” says Peter Barnes, professor of thoracic medicine at Imperial College London, UK, who led the study.
    Barnes and colleagues gave 10 healthy volunteers tablets containing: theobromine, a constituent of cocoa or; codeine, the cough suppressant against which other drugs are measured or; a placebo.
    The volunteers were then asked to inhale a gas containing capsaicin - a derivative of chilli peppers - which induces coughing and is used as an indicator to test the effectiveness of cough medicines.
    Lung patients
    Those given theobromine needed about one-third more capsaicin to produce coughing than those who took codeine. Codeine was only marginally more effective than the placebo at preventing coughing.
    Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, says: "The results of this research sound very promising. Persistent coughing often affects lung disease patients so this could be a progressive step in treating it.”
    But she advises that “patients to speak to their family doctor before changing their medication or treating their cough with chocolate", as tempting as that may be.
    Drowsiness and constipation
    Notably, theobromine appeared to have no unwanted side effects. This is not true of codeine, which is a narcotic and lists drowsiness and constipation among its negative effects.
    “We gave them the equivalent of about two cups of cocoa,” Barnes explains: “The next stage will be to look at different doses.”
    The researchers believe theobromine acts on the sensory nerve endings of the vagus nerve, which runs through the airways in the lungs to the brain. Capsaicin stimulates these endings to provoke coughing.
    The team explored their hypothesis by looking at theobromineÂ’s action on the vagus nerve in separate experiments involving guinea pigs and excised human trachea tissue.
    Their results confirmed that theobromine does indeed inhibit the capsaicin-induced sensory nerve depolarisation in the vagus nerve.
    Source: http://www.chocolate.org/health/theobromine.html

clownpuncher
    You know, for the past three years I'vehad a persistent cough and now that you mention it, I've noticed that chocolate does seem to help. Weird.

Mrs CP 19
    All I can say is if you have a persistent cough, see a Dr. right away. And demand an x-ray. Took them 6 months to find out mine was lung cancer. After you rule out anything else, THEN have your chocolate!! Jill :smile:

clownpuncher
    Thanks. I've been down that road for three years. Doctors, x-rays, ct scans, blood work, inhalers (3). No worries though, workers comp in CA is the best and they really care about me. Yeah right.
    Not to get off topic, but, WORKERS COMP IN CALIFORNIA IS A ****ING JOKE.
    I like dark chocolate the best

Eliminator 4 Life
    Clownpuncher im with you on that they rather pay you to sit hom ethen go to a doc..........Thanks GOVENATOR

FMluvswater
    All I can say is if you have a persistent cough, see a Dr. right away. And demand an x-ray. Took them 6 months to find out mine was lung cancer. After you rule out anything else, THEN have your chocolate!! Jill :smile:
    Good point. I agree and wouldn't ever suggest otherwise. I just thought it was neat that chocolate was more than just tasty.
    Found out this too ...
    Chocolate: A Natural aphrodisiac?
    Aztec Chief Montezuma was said to drink 50 cups of cocoa before visiting his harem of several hundred women. Derived from the beans of the cacao plant, chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), which the brain produces when excited by the passions of love. For that reason, the body may respond to chocolate as it responds to love. In The Chemistry of Love, Michael R. Liebowitz, MD, notes that love-starved people may crave chocolate because their PEA levels may be low.
    :supp:
    Source: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/docum...ocument_id=163

Mrs CP 19
    Good point. I agree and wouldn't ever suggest otherwise. I just thought it was neat that chocolate was more than just tasty.
    I know you wouldn't suggest otherwise. I agree with you 100%. I think the chocolate thing is great! Really didn't mean it to be negative! :smile: Jill

FMluvswater
    [QUOTE=FMluvswaterbabe]Good point. I agree and wouldn't ever suggest otherwise. I just thought it was neat that chocolate was more than just tasty.
    I know you wouldn't suggest otherwise. I agree with you 100%. I think the chocolate thing is great! Really didn't mean it to be negative! :smile: Jill
    Are you in treatment or in remission? Just wondering how you're doing. You're here and posting so I take that as a positive sign.

dicudmore
    Are you in treatment or in remission? Just wondering how you're doing. You're here and posting so I take that as a positive sign.
    glad you asked FM...been wondering about her condition also

Mrs CP 19
    Actually, I was going to post something tomorrow, since it will be my last day of chemo. Started chemo 1st week of June. I have to wait until I am not as 'toxic' from the chemo to start radiation. Also have a trip planned early January, so will start radiation after. Then a month of rest and will have radiation to my brain, as a stop guard measure. The type of cancer I have is very aggressive and usually travels to the brain, so a 'just in case' thing. I tolerated chemo well, not too sick, but I am a VERY determined person and I REFUSE to give in to this illness. Except for major hair loss, I am well, thanks for asking. Jill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast