Thread: OLDSMOBILE HEAD CHOICES

mario
    Im getting ready to set up a set of Heads for my boat. I have been told C heads are the best to use. But I have been thinking for the price to buy C's and to have them machined for screw in studs and cut down for roller rockers ect... would I be better off to just buy Elderbrock alum. Heads. Dose anyone here run the Elderbrock Alum. Heads on there boats.
    Please give me Feedback on this
    Thanks
    Mario

SoggyJet
    Mario,
    If you have the bucks, buy the Edlebrock heads. They are modern tech. Tech on factory heads is 20 plus years old.
    Doug

I HAVE A SET OF HEAD 1 IS A C AND 1 IS A J DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A J HEAD IS?

The Edelbrock heads will not flow any more than C castings but are really nice heads for the price. If you were to buy C heads and replace the valves and seats you will be getting close to the Edelbrock price. Joe Mondello has a lot of info on Edelbrock heads on his web sight

montrone
    Originally posted by SLOTRACER:
    I HAVE A SET OF HEAD 1 IS A C AND 1 IS A J DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A J HEAD IS?
    yes, I do. I use to have (2) J heads and got rid of them. the web site for old's says these are the worst heads to have, they are smoged heads small valves and do not put out any power what so ever. I recently brought C heads these are to be the best, per Mondello.

montrone
    here is some of the info from olds 442.com about the heads.
    . All big-blocks have 1.63-inch exhausts, except for Type J heads that had 1.690-inch exhausts. But the J heads have a poor "shelf intake port," as do the G and K castings. A, B, and D heads are acceptable subs for C or F castings, however. The larger valves can be installed in the small-valve heads.
    this is why i went with C's

73kona455