Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring Advice??

Chestah Cheetah
    I've got a 17' Cheetah with a 455/Berk. I'm still pretty much a novice boater and I need advice on what type of anchor I should use. I would like to anchor the stern and have a beach stake off the bow. Thanks fellas!

froggystyle
    You have it backwards. You want to anchor the back towards the beach, because it is very rare that a boat swamping wave eminates from the beach. The best all around anchor is called a "Danforth". It has two flukes on the bottom, and they rotate back and forth. Get an anchor one size up from your boat recommendation. I.E., If it is rated up to 18', get the one rated from 18'-24'. The real trick with a Danforth is using a chain for the last two feet of the line, the part that attaches to the anchor. This shot of chain holds the anchor down, and prevents it from levering itself out of the bottom on it's own. The thing about a Danforth is that it is not the weight of it that holds your boat, it is the design. It digs into sandy, muddy bottoms. These are available anywhere.

Erik
    A rule of thumb that I learned was to use 1-ft of chain for every foot of boat. I'm sure that this is overkill but I've been through some pretty bad storms & never had the anchor break loose.

Timer
    I used a Box anchor for the first time and it was very impressive the way it held, and no chain required. I'm totally sold on it. My boat is 21'. It's not a cheap anchor -- about $120.
    Froggy's right about pointing the boat away from the shore.

chaz
    Hey Cheetah I heard that the box anchor works pretty good also, you can find more info at www.slideanchor.com. (http://www.slideanchor.com.) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
    Chaz

Chestah Cheetah
    Thanks fellas! I checked out slideanchors site and I think I'll probably go with the box anchor in combination with their on/off shore spike. The whole thing just sounds a lot simpler and easier than a conventional anchor. Froggy, thanks for the correction of stern towards the beach and bow out. Just out of curiosity, if i'm in a no wake cove, is it still a bad idea to have the bow facing the beach? I have seen that a lot and was just wondering. Also, has anyone used those small fenders with suction cups for docks or rafting boats together? I don't have any cleats.

Chestah Cheetah
    Thanks fellas! I checked out slideanchors site and I think I'll probably go with the box anchor in combination with their on/off shore spike. The whole thing just sounds a lot simpler and easier than a conventional anchor. Froggy, thanks for the correction of stern towards the beach and bow out. Just out of curiosity, if i'm in a no wake cove, is it still a bad idea to have the bow facing the beach? I have seen that a lot and was just wondering. Also, has anyone used those small fenders with suction cups for docks or rafting boats together? I don't have any cleats.

Erik
    Yeah, I have the bumpers with suction cups on to hold them on. They work ok for short periods of time. I don't know if I'd want to rely on them overnight but for docking to get a beer or ice they work fine. I've even seen some bumpers that bend at the top to protect low profile boats. Those look like a good idea if it apples to you.

mister460
    Ya, and if you have your arse end towards the shore it's easier to spray the crowd of egg-beater drivers that you parked in between to make them look bad. Not that any of us would EVER do something like that. I mean, I'm just saying you COULD do it. HEEHEE!

Chestah Cheetah
    I'll get those suction cup bumbers too. That's all I need is a short term tie up solution. Come one 460, eggbeaters can be good for something. Omeletes on the beach anyone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast