Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carpet or ???

Question to the wise folks in the forum (by the way this is truly a great way to exchange thoughts).
    I have a 26' day cruiser. Carpet is about in need of replacing, but noticing the newer boats are going away from carpeting. Has anyone done away with the carpet and dressed up the glass, then painted to match the boat, or simply painted a neutral color. This seems to be a great idea, easy to clean and maintain - but....... what may I be missing??
    Thanks
    propless

ratso
    The way I did my personal boat was to gelcoat and web the floor, then my trim shop made my carpet where I can unsnap it to remove it. Best of both worlds.

Aluminum Squirt
    I think I'm going to go with spray on bed liner but my boat is all aluminum so what do I know?

ratso
    AluminumSquirt: We Have Done Those Too. Works Pretty Good On Aluminum.

I'm really intriged - have you done this to a nice fiberglass boat and are you really pleased with the results? I believe this spray on stuff comes in different colors does it not, and is not affected by most boat crap (gas, food, messy wifes/kids and sloppy dad's of course).
    Appreicate your thoughts!
    Originally posted by ratso:
    AluminumSquirt: We Have Done Those Too. Works Pretty Good On Aluminum.

Aluminum Squirt
    I haven't done it yet, just considering it. It sounds like ratso has. I've got an aluminum white water jet so my application is a little different-Aluminum squirt

ratso
    propless: I would still use gelcoat in a fiberglass boat. We did spray some of the bedliner material on a few decks for a nonskid surface, but it does seem to fade after awhile. The gelcoat is just as durable if not more so. Also with gelcoat you are virtually unlimited on colors.

DesertDog
    The new boats you see without carpet have dedicated liners with the nonskid built into them.I've seen nonskid added to slick fiberglass that comes out beatiful but the nonskid I've seen applied to wood doesn't look as good.
    If I was redoing a boat with a wood floor I would use a nice 40 OZ. carpet(not 20 OZ.)

Hey Dog -
    My only concern about going back to carpet, especially 40 oz is the bends, curves, dips, et cetera. How do you work around this issue, some type of super glue??
    Thanks

blueskiller
    I am in the same boat I have all of the carpet out, but puzzled about what product to use to git an clean clear fiberglass look please help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast