Thread: Help Questions on Engine Placement

TCHB
    I have a 25 Bennington Tri Toon with a Honda 225 on the back. I am running a 17 pitch Mirage prop at 6,000 rpm full trimmed. The boat is running around 47MPH. The engine is set at the second from the bottom hole on the mounting plate. When do I know I am at the optimum mounting location? Should I put a manual mounting bracket on the back so I can adjust with a adjusting screw?

wideopen23
    If you dont want to spend the big money on the hydraulic jack the manuel ones work pretty good. I am unfamiliar with your boat and motor but what I did was just test it out raising it a 1/4 inch at a time untill I got it where I wanted it. Remember dont go to high and get your water pickups out of the water. That is bad. The higher I went the more speed I got and the worse the torque on the steering wheel was. Also you might want to look into a diffrent prop. I dont know what you are using the boat for but I think you said it was a 17 pitch. You can try a 21 or so. Again I am unfamiliar with your boat and motor.

Forkin' Crazy
    Are you serious? It's just I never have seen anyone that was serious about tweeking a few more mph's out of a toon.....
    Get some one to drive and go back and look at the lower when at speed. When you can see the cavitation plate, I think that would be as high as I would go.
    If you do decide to use a jackplate, I would make sure the transom could handle the extra setback.

TCHB
    Its really not about the speed, I just want to find the right place of the engine placement. I know how important the proper location can be with a outdrive. Any help is appreciated.