Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOLD DOWN HOOKS?

DOHARA
    Just wondeering if It's ok to put in rear hold down hooks on transom. My boat only has a front hold down. My buddy was behind me when I was towing boat and he said when I went through a intersection the rear of boat came off trailer about a foot or so. Just wondering if I can install rear hooks on transom to tie boat down to trailer keeping it from jumping around. I see most boats have these but for some reason my boat doesn't have them.

fire on the water
    I would definitly install some, just to prevent damage to the mother ship and/or your trailer. If your boat hooks may have been removed for asthetics or may have never even had any. I've also seen guys tie the ass of the boat to the trailer by hooking the trailer then going up and over the drive and back down to the trailer. I don't known if this would add negative deflection to the drive on bumps and other road conditions,but its better than drilling in the transom.My .01, Tyler

kceballes
    try going off your ski post(if you have one), its connected to the rear of the motor above the bellhousing. It will travel over your hull but drilling is not nec, and 2 four foot straps is the only thing required. this way you not putting direct pressure on your jet.
    Just a thought!

DOHARA
    KC, thanks for thought but I don't have that type of boat. My engine has a cover that flips up. My ski hook is at back of transom above jet. The tie downs I'm talking about are the chrome u-bolt strap down deals that lold boat to trailer. Can I drill transome to install these? or use tie downs thru swim steps.?
    THANKS...

fire on the water
    Don't tie off on the swim step, it might bend the $hit out of it if enough tension is on it. Try Eddie Marine's online catalog or boatpartcentral.com they should have the hardware for that use.

Boater Bill
    Most definitely you need something to secure the rear. My boat has the "outboard" swim step brackets drilled on the bottom and I use S hooks w/turnbuckles to attach to chain welded to the trailer. One of my buddy's boat has the chrome eyelets mounted in the transom and uses the same attachment hdwe. Both work fine. BTW the boat will settle after initial tighting so if your making a long tow recheck them just for peace of mind. Good luck

1quickjet
    BoaterBill, at what point are tie downs at the transom necessary? I would say the majority of boats I see don't have them but a few do. I see hooks mostly on bass boats and PWC's. Is there a weight range recommended for tying it down? My 19' used to jump up and down over RR tracks, but the 21' appears to stay put.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by 1quickjet:
    BoaterBill, at what point are tie downs at the transom necessary?...but the 21' appears to stay put.
    I was following a 33' Eliminator Daytona leaving Havasu last year, and I saw it get air off the trailer, turning onto I-40.

The first thing I do if I'm redoing an older boat is get rid of the transom eyes. There is no reason what so ever for them being there. That boat isn't going anywhere on the trailer. If your worried about it, you have 3 feet of pump sticking out the back of the boat, sling a tie down around the bowl and fasten it to the trailer. The last thing you want to do is drill some unnessary holes in the transom of your boat. But if you have to have them, make sure you silicone the holes real well to keep water from seaping in and rotting out your transom.
    While were on the subject of trailers, make sure your bunk pads extend past the transom by at least an inch. This will help prevent putting hook in the bottom.

XClutchboy725
    Old Rigger is right on here! Thats exactly what I do with "Dads Boat"!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast