Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blocked loader question

PC Rat
    Does the shape of the blocker directly effect lift?
    In other words, does a v-blocker create more lift than a flat blocker?
    Brian

Squirtin Thunder
    Does the shape of the blocker directly effect lift?
    In other words, does a v-blocker create more lift than a flat blocker?
    Brian
    Going off what you have said, I would say a flat blocker would give more lift. Because a Vblocker will go through the water more like a knife than a flat rock skipping across the pond.
    Jim

flat broke
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the shape/orrientation of the blocker has less to do with lift, and more to do with the amount of water, and how the water is kept away from the impeller. Each design will create different turbulence which may be more/less advantageous in different applications.
    Chris

LVjetboy
    I'd guess the shape of the blocker has less to do with lift than the blocker angle (orientation?) and total blocker surface area. Total blocker surface area the dominant lift factor no matter the shape. I'd also guess shape has more to do with lateral pressure distribution at the blocker release point.
    Just guesses.
    What would be really interesting is to have a 360 degree array of pressure sensors near the impeller inlet flow. Then change loader designs and see what happens. This is not hard to do...just needs someone to do it.
    jer

jweeks123
    What would be really interesting is to have a 360 degree array of pressure sensors near the impeller inlet flow. Then change loader designs and see what happens. This is not hard to do...just needs someone to do it.
    jer
    just needs someone to pay for it :smile:

LVjetboy
    just needs someone to pay for it
    True enough. But you'd think some forward-thinking pump mfg would use those limited resources to measure? I can tell you the probes required and the data aquisition unit are not a freakin' big hit to an R&D budget. Or outweight the potential advertising benefit of "tested" results. Hook up some goverment surplus transducers and calibrate them. Then run tests and publish. You think HBM won't run that article? Or is it all on us jetters to pay for everything?
    jer

djdtpr
    I am with everyone else i dont think the v blocker will have any difference in lift then a flat blocker,but the water placement definatly would be different.

What would be really interesting is to have a 360 degree array of pressure sensors near the impeller inlet flow.
    If someone DOES do it, I want to be there with the camera to document the housiing cracking in half.

Squirtin Thunder
    Thats it I am calling Jack !!!!!

WheelerDealer
    A dimpled air-bearing loader would be the way to go! Sorry guys, I couldn't help it. Carry on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast