Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: olds 455 question

cncer691
    What is a good method to plug up the exhaust crossover ports on my heads? I have some plugs from edelbrock, but after about a month or so, they always loosen up and rattle around when at idle. There has got to be a better way

bobz
    you have to weld them in.

bobz
    you have to weld them in.

GlastronGuy
    I had Mondello's fill mine.

cncer691
    I just didn't want to take the heads off this close to summer. I am not an ace mechanic, so that would be a major ordeal for me to tear the engine down.

jim lee
    Just put a tunnel ram on it. Tunnel rams don't have the crossovers in the casting.
    -jim lee

cncer691
    I love the look and the bragging rights of saying i have a tunnel ram, but if I put on a tunnel ram, then i have to re-design my interior. I would really hate to lose what little sun pad I have. I want the best of both worlds, fast boat and a littel room to move (when the boat is stopped)

Q-ball
    What is the reason for plugging the crossovers? I have a Edelbrock Torker intake, should I plug mine?

JEThro
    Here's my 2 cents worth. The exhaust crossover is basically a smog device. The heat the exhaust makes help warm up the carb faster so you won't run in a choke-on/rich condition for too long. On your early model choke thermostats,look at where the choke coil is mounted. I'm porting my third set of heads and will most likley have the exhaust passage on the heads filled. Its not cheap. When you fill your heads, you have to create and shape your own exhaust bowls below the valve seat. This gives you better flow with less turbulance. Jethro

cncer691
    Q-Ball, Edelbrock recomends pluging the port on race and boat applications. I think it is because of the heat generated at high RPM or something. I really dont see how that is any different than a car on the highway. All I know is that my engine used to get very hot on top, and water would boil and spit when I would drip on it from swimming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast