Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking at a new F250

hava life
    I know a lot of people have the 250. Which motor package should I look at. I will be getting 4x4 but should I go gas or diesel? I will be using it for work driving about 40 miles to work daily and pulling the boat on weekends. I have a steep drivway that I have to back the boat up until I build a garage in front of the house. Right now my 150 doesn't have the power to back up the driveway with the boat, I have to get a run at backing up and turning into the garage it's a real tight fit.

RiverOtter
    I don't have one but I can almost guaranty that 99% of the responses will be Diesel. I do have an 02 Z71 Burb which of course is gas. I can't wait till 06 or 07 when the diesel comes out. The diesel not only has more pulling power but the whole drive train is beefier. If you got the extra $'s go diesel. JMHO.

Blacksheep
    I agree with RiverOtter. If you have the money, hands down go diesel. Better gas mileage plus diesel are built to be bullet proof. You will enjoy the extra power and torque.
    I have a 24V Cummins and I love it...wouldn't go any other way. I think you will be quite pleased with Ford's International diesel.

PHX ATC
    Diesel.
    I've 2 Cummins trucks at my house, but Ford builds a nice diesel and a nice truck. If you can spin the $$$, diesel, auto, 4x4, and whatever interior niceties you like.
    Have fun with it.

N2Lake
    I would go with the diesel. I bought my first diesel in 1990 and went one stretch for 35 months since then with out a diesel, I won't be doing that again. Once you try a diesel nothing else even comes close, believe me I even tried a blower on my gas truck, but it just was not the same as a diesel. JMO

Mandelon
    Even if you don't have the money, go with the diesel!!! The Ford is pretty loud, but the power is worth it.
    Man-->Sold his Fords and now runs Dmax<--delon

purrfecttremor
    i have a 04 250 v10 and pull a 25 ft boat.has plenty of power sounds decent with exaust BUT only12 mpg at all times but i would go v10 again.

cc322
    I am in the same situation as you right now, my 2000 expedition is in the trader tryiing to sell it to buy my f-250. I have gone over the diesel vs v-10 thing a hundred times and most say get the diesel, but it would not be a daily driver for me, so not sure if I could justify the extra cost of the diesel. You on the other hand use it as a daily driver, so the extra money for the diesel would be well spent. IMO the fords look the best, and every new ford I have been in seemed to be very quiet. If your looking to do some research before you buy here is a couple web sites you could try. The dieselstop.com, and Fordtruckenthusiasts.com alot of good info on gas and diesel trucks. good luck

TexasJet
    I have the 03 F250 Diesel and love it. Don't buy it for the better gas mileage though. Now that the cost of diesel fuel is as high a premium gas, the better milage is not enough to pay for the difference in gas prices. Buy it cause it loves to pull stuff. I have a 31' travel trailer, 8000 LBS loaded, and that truck pulls it like a champ.

BADBLOWN572
    I have an '04 F-250 4x4 with the diesel and love it. I will never go back to another gas engine ever again in my trucks. WELL WORTH the extra money in my opinion. Sure is nice to be able to pull anything you want and not have to worry about wondering if you have the power to pull something and pass someone. I just set cruise at 70 and it will pull my boat up Ciraco or Cajon pass no problems. Get stuck behind a big rig, stab it, and by the time you are finished passing him, you will be at 80 no problem.
    It is also nice because I have the Edge with Attitude kit that I got from STV Keith and what a difference. Never had a problem when the truck was stock, but for the couple hundred bucks more, what a difference. On level 5, it has over 500 h.p. to the tires. Kind of nice when a rice rocket is giving you crap to stab the gas and smoke him. Overall though, I get around 19mpg on the freeway cruising, 15-17 around town, and 15 towing. I am also on a set of 35" tires too. Back when it was stock, 65mph on the freewaw was 22mpg. Not bad for a big ass truck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast