Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Powell like in Aug.?

AirtimeLavey
    Is it monsoony like Hav. & Mohave? Thinking about a houseboat, yet again. Where would you go w/the houseboat, for privacy, sights and skiing, etc.? Coming up from SoCal.

AzLakeLizard
    Is it monsoony like Hav. & Mohave? Thinking about a houseboat, yet again. Where would you go w/the houseboat, for privacy, sights and skiing, etc.? Coming up from SoCal.
    I just called Mardonzi to answer your question..
    for us living here it is good ANY time.. lol
    We like going up Navajo, Ice Cream and many more.. stay tuned!

Mardonzi
    It can be monsoony,, but not nearly as bad as Hav or Mohave. Here, there are places to hide from it and/or have your houseboat set up. There are hoards of private coves that you can set up on all over the lake.
    We are doing our 2nd annual Powellfest from Aug 3-6th. Last year we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 people from the boards there and are planning on 140+ this year. PM either myself or Titties and Beer for more info if you are interested...

AirtimeLavey
    It can be monsoony,, but not nearly as bad as Hav or Mohave. Here, there are places to hide from it and/or have your houseboat set up. There are hoards of private coves that you can set up on all over the lake.
    We are doing our 2nd annual Powellfest from Aug 3-6th. Last year we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 people from the boards there and are planning on 140+ this year. PM either myself or Titties and Beer for more info if you are interested...
    Thanks for the info. I gotta co-oridnate dates with others, but if it works, we'll def. stop by.

TCHB
    We have been there in August 4 times and loved the afternoon storms. The storm would stay for about an hour.

STOKER909
    I have seen some of the worst storms in my life at powell in August and I have stayed on a house boat too. The storms when they happen tend to be alot more violent than most of what i have experienced on mojave and Havasu. I have seen good sized boats nearly sink at powell and it aint pretty when that happens. I have been there and seen 7 footers in Wahweap (not fun)
    All that aside, I would still go, just buy or bring a NOAA weather radio with you and always keep an eye on the sky there because it can literally change in minutes. I cannot emphasize that enough that every boater should keep a NOAA weather radio handy when you are out on the Lakes anywhere along the Colorado River.

Sleek-Jet
    Hot.

burtandnancy
    The greatest lightning/thunder storm I ever experienced was in Padre Bay on a houseboat in August. It was unbelievably spectacular, the lightning was all up on the cliffs and the thunder rattled your teeth. Would do it again anytime. We were well anchored and tied off so the winds were no problem and only lasted a little over an hour. Doesn't happen every day though...

BajaMike
    :idea:
    Lake Powell in August.....Beautiful!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/1098704.jpg
    It is hot, get a houseboat with AC. I've been there a few times in Aug, maybe windy or stormy 1 or 2 afternoons/evenings out of 7 or 8 days.
    :rollside:

AirtimeLavey
    :idea:
    Lake Powell in August.....Beautiful!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/1098704.jpg
    It is hot, get a houseboat with AC. I've been there a few times in Aug, maybe windy or stormy 1 or 2 afternoons/evenings out of 7 or 8 days.
    :rollside:
    Wow! Gorgeous pic. That's what we're looking for! As for the t-storms, they're fun to watch if you're ready for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast