Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time To Choose A Cam

Some Kind Of Monster
    Everything is done on my motor and I just have to choose a cam. I am getting different opinions on what to put in my motor and I am just wondering what the masses think. I would like something to really bring the motor to life with a big lopey idle. The motor is:
    454 30 over
    10:1 comp
    119 CC Open Chamber oval port iron heads
    4 bolt main iron block
    je sportsman 212135 dome forged pistons
    Let me know if you need any more specs.
    The two choices so far are as follows:
    Crower 01206
    And
    Comp Cams 280H Magnum

lilrick
    Everything is done on my motor and I just have to choose a cam. I am getting different opinions on what to put in my motor and I am just wondering what the masses think. I would like something to really bring the motor to life with a big lopey idle. The motor is:
    454 30 over
    10:1 comp
    119 CC Open Chamber oval port iron heads
    4 bolt main iron block
    je sportsman 212135 dome forged pistons
    Let me know if you need any more specs.
    The two choices so far are as follows:
    Crower 01206
    And
    Comp Cams 280H Magnum
    I have the same set up and I run a solid...Isky Z-45 ...and I likey!!!!

SmokinLowriderSS
    My 454 is running an Isky 280H I got custom ground from Hi-Tech, and I likey. LOL.
    Made a really good base for the headers this year and porting next winter. by then, should carry my 8.5:1, 123cc open chambered 454 to right at 500 HP. My lift is slightly Higher, .565" and not a problem. Might consider it. I think the .520" lift of the Comp will dissapoint sooner or later.
    Duanes kit set me back $400 or so with matching springs, Isky Superlifters, new ratainers, shims, Poly-locks. His is custom cut to increase the ramp speed to maximize open time beyond a standard .565" lift 280* Hyd cam. I had no problems on break-in folowing Duane's advice.

steelcomp
    Why go with what "this guy said" and "that guy said". No two motors or applications are alike, and neither are their requirements for a cam. Talk to Chris Srtaub, and get the right cam for your application. CStraub69 here on the boards. You'd be very surprised at what he comes up with as compared to what the "consensus" is.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    the comp 280h is perfect. 230@.050/110 lobe/.525 lift
    Heads are bone stock so there is a limit on the cam.......

SmokinLowriderSS
    My heads from 1978 somehow had the early '70's short-slot rockers, so I did have to change those too. :boxed:
    I never did figure out the 2 different colored stripe valve springs either, like 4 or 5 orange ones and the rest purple. :idea:

Some Kind Of Monster
    I'm trying to put these cams into desktop dyno and the more cam I give it the more it likes it. That can't be right. What's up with that?

SmokinLowriderSS
    To a certain extent that IS right .... but ... you will reachg a point where the heads will flow no more, and if you are running log exhaust, I run those as "Hi-perf manifolds with mufflers", it works really close. Do you know your head casting numbers? If so, you may find port size info here:
    http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm
    You may be able to find your head's flow info here:
    http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#BBFord
    Most makes are there including imports.
    If your heads aren't on Stan Weise, you may be able to work with comparable ones that are via comparisons of port sizes @ Mortec.
    Use the "custom port flow" settings on the heads in DD.
    Good luck.

Some Kind Of Monster
    I called up Comp Cams and Maxwell told me to go with the 11-240-4 as seen here: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Se...umber=11-240-4 This cam has a 112 lobe seperation as opposed to the 110 on the 280H and 108 on the Crower. Maxwell even ran my numbers on his Dyno sim and the 240-4 came out way on top. This is too confusing! Is there a reason why I shouldn't run the 240-4 and should stay with he 280H?

Some Kind Of Monster
    Just got off the phone with Dave at Crower. He said to go with a 01351 which is
    INTAKE: Duration: 288º Lift: 0.6 Clearence Hot: 0.022
    EXHAUST: Duration: 292º Lift: 0.619 Clearence Hot: 0.024 Lobe seperation @ 107
    Why is everyone recommending cams that are so different? I thought at lease they would be in the same ballpark of one another.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast