Thread: What pump?

Terminal Velocity
    I was wondering if you guys could tell by this photo what Berkeley pump is on this thing? Or how do i determine what it is?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...T_PUMP-med.JPG
    Also, anyone heard of Nova Boat Manufacturing, that is what the hull is? I'm in the process of finally after 12+ years redoing this boat for me and the family, shouldn't end up too fancy just clean and something to screw around with. Pics to follow...
    Thanks
    James

That pump is a Berkeley JF. Similar to the JE, the JF had trimable nozzle set up. Both are what is known as an "insert" pump. Not the most desirable for performance but just fine for a nice lake boat. Make sure all the necessary bits and pieces for the controls are there as they are hard, if not impossible, to come by.
    BTW, if you look at the top of the pump, inside the boat just to the rear of the thrust bearing housing, there should be a plate identifying the unit.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, Oldsquirt's right, it's an "F", can't miss that gimbal "diamond" ring. LOL
    As O. said, it has it's issues, mostly having a shorter, steeper intake causes loading issues to set in earlier than most pumps, but it's a good unit. Unless you are looking for maximum speed performance, I would not personally shy away from it. My Taylor runs an "F", and runs well, plus if I need to, I can open the cleanout without being on the trailer and not sink! :crossx:

Terminal Velocity
    That's what i'm looking for just a lake boat to get on the water with. I've got a fresh 468 BBC for it if it'll go 50mph that'll get me in enough trouble with the wife
    The boat was my dad's so i have the pieces parts but i'll make sure i keep them organized. The boat probably hasn't been in the water for 20 years and it sat in Salt Lake City for countless years without a cover and for the last 8 years "curing" in the Vegas sun. Suprisingly though i can spin the shaft very easily. I'm sure i'll have someone look at it when i get to the point of stabbing the motor.
    Here are a couple more pics of the boat from getting it in the garage last weekend and going to town with the orbital sander...
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...86SIDE-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...INSIDE-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...86DECK-med.JPG
    Thanks for the information by the way.

Mighty Thor
    You shouldn't have any trouble hitting 50 plus with a decent running big motor. The trouble will be keeping it under 50 cause it makes you smile so hard when your on the throttle. :rollside:

Riverat84
    You shouldn't have any trouble hitting 50 plus with a decent running big motor. The trouble will be keeping it under 50 cause it makes you smile so hard when your on the throttle. :rollside:
    oh GOD is he right!
    Reid

SmokinLowriderSS
    Man ..... you are gonna be in SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble.
    My heavy Taylor (1900 pounds empty) runs over 60 loaded, on a very rough hull and a mild (but getting wilder) 454. :rollside:

Terminal Velocity
    Yea i'm sure i'll be in trouble a few times :argue: , but i've got my Super Stock and Pro Stock for really having speed fun!!! the motor is fairly mild 468 full roller 10:1. I'm putting a 3 duece setup from my dad's old 69 Corvette for something different. Paint will be something clean and classic looking lines. I'll keep posting pics as i go. Hopefully towards the end of the year i'll have it done.
    Thanks again
    James

SmokinLowriderSS
    Novel idea, I like different, just for the sake of different. Good luck with it.