Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy idea?

El Prosecutor
    Anybody made a cage or frame to mount to the stringers to lift your engine temporarily to work underneath? Is this a bad idea? Other suggestions?
    (I need to check and/or replace my starter and it is buried up underneath so far I can't even see the mounting bolts). :cry:

502 JET
    Not saying that it cant be done I would not attempt this becuase if you damage something you will need more than a starter.Go rent an engine crane or borrow one.I pulled the engine from my fishing boat with a chain strung between two trees and connected a comealong to it.I learned this from a backwoods piney redneck who defined the word tooth brush.

BigBlockBaja
    Not saying that it cant be done I would not attempt this becuase if you damage something you will need more than a starter.Go rent an engine crane or borrow one.I pulled the engine from my fishing boat with a chain strung between two trees and connected a comealong to it.I learned this from a backwoods piney redneck who defined the word tooth brush.
    Thats how I got my 460 in....

DelawareDave
    I remember the old days down in 502 Jet's neck of the woods. Some interesting ppl and "houses". Some real "piney's" back there in the sticks then.

El Prosecutor
    Not saying that it cant be done I would not attempt this becuase if you damage something you will need more than a starter.
    Good thoughts from all - fortunately my engine pulling days have been postponed. I took the port log off and was able to reach the bolts. Starter has been removed. Thanks guys :boxed:

Wicked Performance Boats
    I used a comealong to take a 425hp 396 out of a 66 caprice with trans mounted. I got it out and moved the car and started to lower it down when the comealong failed and slamed the whole package 4ft to the driveway!!!!! Broke all the ears on the turbo400 off, and flattened the oil pan, luckily I saved the motor> I will never try that again. Budlight

centerhill condor
    I had the same problem last spring.... replaced the bbc starter with the engine in the boat using a mirror... and just felt around... it was an entire body effort but it got done... had to disassemble the delco starter for removal and installed a powermaster mini high torque... problem solved! good luck and take some seat cushions so you can lie on top of the engine and monkey around without getting all bruised up.. good luck!

El Prosecutor
    After reading a bunch of old threads I have decided NOT to go with an automotive starter b/c of my enclosed engine compartment.
    What do you all think about this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

455Rocket
    If you have a marine starter now I'd just get it rebuilt... save some $

502 JET
    After reading a bunch of old threads I have decided NOT to go with an automotive starter b/c of my enclosed engine compartment.
    What do you all think about this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
    This starter looks exellent just double check that is correct for your aplication also looks like a great seller.Just make sure you check the shipping rates some sellers pad the bill with overcharging shipping.A 100% new starter is a much better choice than any rebuilt starter.Which ever starter you decide on bench test it before you install it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast